From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
Richard A Whitenight
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 4:17 PM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: When an Intrusion is Not an Intrusion

I finished up my DFW Ambassador tour at approx 1400HRS and was just
leaving the Ambassador's office when I heard what I originally thought
was a prop aircraft taking off in runway 36C at DFW.  In reality it was a
single engine Cesna 182 RG on an East to West trip across DFW airport,
passing about 100 ft or less ("in the grass" as explained by the ATC
supervisor at the East Tower) over the Remote North building, AND
crossing directly under a MD80 on takeoff from 36C.  My initial thoughts
were that this was a nut who had just committed a Class-B airspace
intrusion (or is it incursion?).  As he crossed 36C, he did a wing wobble
which gave me the impression that he was experiencing some of the
turbulence of the previous aircraft that had taken off.  I'm already to
crucify this guy for intruding on the airspace of that AAL MD80 that was
taking off.  I head home and call the supervisor of the East Tower, who
tells me this gentleman I thought was a "nut", does this 2-3 times a
week, "checking out the pipeline".  He said when he crosses 36C, he then
heads over the "tank farm".  He said that all aircraft that are taking
off are made aware of his presence, but to me this seems like a rather
risky procedure in the first place, allowing an aircraft to fly at your 3
o'clock low position, while you are taking off.  Is there anyone else on
this list who MIGHT feel this way <grin>?

Richard Whitenight
DFW