Air travel goes smoothly, but real test coming next

Air travel goes smoothly, but real test coming next
By Laura Parker, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON =97 Travelers who flew on New Year's Day reported few snags in=
 the=20
start-up of security procedures that require all checked bags to be=20
screened for explosives. But Wednesday was a fairly light travel day. The=20
real test of the new system will come this weekend when holiday travelers=20
crowd airports to return home. A federal law requiring the bag screening at=
=20
all 429 commercial airports in the USA took effect at midnight Tuesday. The=
=20
law is the latest aviation security measure put in place since the Sept. 11=
=20
terrorist attacks. Screening for explosives is designed to prevent=20
terrorists from placing a bomb aboard an airliner as they did in 1988 when=
=20
Pan Am Flight 103 blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing 270 people. The=
=20
screening, conducted by the federal Transportation Security Administration,=
=20
primarily involves sending checked bags through sophisticated X-ray=20
machines as passengers check in. There are 1,100 such devices in U.S.=20
airports, with additional machines on order. Officials say at least 90% of=
=20
the approximately 2 million bags checked each day will be screened=20
electronically.

Bags that are not X-rayed are subject to hand searches, inspection by=20
bomb-sniffing dogs and precise bag-matching to make sure all checked=20
luggage matches passengers who board flights. Travelers are instructed not=
=20
to lock their luggage. Chris Rhatigan, spokeswoman for the TSA, said no=20
delays were reported. Officials at the security agency declined to identify=
=20
which airports have not acquired the explosives-detection equipment because=
=20
it could provide information to terrorists. The machines are located near=20
check-in counters at many airports and are easily glimpsed by travelers.=20
Passengers arriving at Dulles International Airport outside Washington on=20
Wednesday morning had no complaints. Most said they were aware of the new=20
screening and had arrived early for their flights in anticipation of long=20
lines. "It was pretty seamless, actually," said Anil Kasibhatla, 34, who=20
caught an early morning United Airlines flight from Boston with his wife=20
and two small children. Troy
MacCormick, 30, said his check-in at Buffalo was the easiest he has=20
experienced all year. He said the requirement to leave bags unlocked does=20
not disturb him. "I don't normally lock them," he said. "But I did think=20
about it when I packed my leather jacket in my bag today."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)
:
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com