Troubled airlines present additional challenge for FAA

Troubled airlines present additional challenge for FAA

WASHINGTON (AP) =97 When an airline is in financial distress, the Federal=20
Aviation Administration increases vigilance to ensure maintenance isn't=20
compromised. But with two huge airlines in Chapter 11 and the FAA facing=20
criticism for not doing enough to  monitor a third, some lawmakers question=
=20
whether the agency is up to the task. Rep. John Mica, R-Fla. and chairman=20
of the House aviation subcommittee, said the FAA needs more money to do the=
=20
job. He also said he may write legislation ordering that FAA personnel be=20
shifted to that task. "There have been many more people killed due to=20
maintenance defects and lack of inspection and oversight than in all the=20
terrorist acts combined in this country," Mica said. "We do have some=20
airlines in deep financial trouble, and it's important we have inspections=
=20
to make certain they're operating safe aircraft and that proper maintenance=
=20
is adhered to." The FAA has 3,300 aviation safety inspectors to monitor 139=
=20
airlines, 637,000 active pilots, 273,000 mechanics, 7,600 commercial=20
aircraft, 11,000 charter aircraft and 220,000 private planes, according to=
=20
an April audit by the Transportation Department's inspector general.

FAA inspectors analyze data, review paperwork and conduct spot checks of=20
airlines' maintenance programs. Labor unrest, financial problems and rapid=
=20
growth are among the things that prompt increased supervision. Many U.S.=20
air carriers have struggled financially since the Sept. 11 attacks. Major=20
airlines expect to lose about $10 billion this year, according to Leo=20
Mullin, Delta Air Lines' chief executive. And they have cut about 100,000=20
jobs since the attacks. United Airlines, the second-largest U.S. airline,=20
and US Airways, the fifth-biggest, declared bankruptcy this year. The FAA=20
was faulted by the National Transportation Safety Board for its supervision=
=20
over Alaska Airlines. Still, FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said the=20
agency believes it has enough people to monitor maintenance at all=20
airlines. Greg Martin, another FAA spokesman, said the cyclical nature of=20
the aviation business has conditioned the agency to deal with a number of=20
troubled airlines at once. "We've been here before so there's nothing=20
particularly extraordinary that would leave us unprepared," Martin said.=20
Nonetheless, the bankruptcies have some worried.

"The FAA is stretched pretty thin," said Bill Waldock, professor of safety=
=20
science at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Ariz. "They've=
=20
had difficulty in responding to a circumstance like a bankrupt airline,=20
where there's pressure to cut costs." Eastern Airlines was fined $3.5=20
million for falsifying work records on its fleet soon after declaring=20
bankruptcy in 1991. Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., chaired oversight=20
hearings on Eastern, which no longer operates. "The carriers say they never=
=20
compromise on maintenance, but there's a downward pressure," Oberstar said.=
=20
Linda Goodrich, spokeswoman for the union representing FAA inspectors, said=
=20
bankrupt airlines require much closer oversight. For example, instead of=20
simply checking records on how often jet tires are rotated, an inspector=20
goes to a bankrupt airline's maintenance facility and personally examines=20
the tires. She estimates the FAA needs 500 more inspectors and 100 more=20
administrators to do the job right. "We are so thin, we do minimally what=20
we can do and depend a lot on our expertise," said Goodrich, who was an=20
inspector for 20 years. "We should all be terribly concerned."

Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., said he's concerned the FAA feels pressure from=
=20
Congress and the White House to hold the line on staffing. "If they're=20
going to do some enhanced on-the-ground surveillance they're going to have=
=20
to ask for more personnel," DeFazio said. Critics say airlines that grow=20
quickly also present problems for the FAA, which hasn't always increased=20
supervision as fast as an airline has added planes. Alaska Airlines=20
experienced a number of maintenance problems during a period of rapid=20
expansion several years ago. Earlier this month, the National=20
Transportation Safety Board blamed faulty maintenance and poor FAA=20
oversight for a January 2000 crash off the California coast that killed all=
=20
88 aboard an Alaska Airlines jet. The agency has increased inspectors since=
=20
then and the airline improved its maintenance program. Spitaliere said she=
=20
doesn't know how many airlines are under heightened surveillance now. "We=20
usually don't go into specifics," she said.
But increased oversight doesn't necessarily require more inspectors,=20
Spitaliere said.

Bill Bozin, vice president of safety and regulatory compliance at US=20
Airways, said he met with FAA officials the day after the airline declared=
=20
bankruptcy in August. The airline, which hopes to emerge from bankruptcy=20
early next year, quickly enhanced its internal maintenance oversight, Bozin=
=20
said. "We can't allow ourselves to have any missteps," he said. "We realize=
=20
there is that potential because of the distraction factor that is there."=20
Hank Krakowski, United's vice president of safety, security and quality=20
assurance, met with FAA officials almost immediately after the airline=20
declared bankruptcy on Dec. 9 to discuss maintenance, according to Chris=20
Brathwaite, an airline spokesman. Pilots, often the first to notice=20
maintenance corners being cut, haven't heard of any safety problems at=20
United or US Airways, said John Mazor, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots=20
Association.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)
:
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com