Canada's airport security gets poor grade from expert

Canada's airport security gets poor grade from expert
Last Updated Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:07:50

TORONTO - The former head of security at Israel's renowned El Al airline=20
doesn't think Canada has done nearly enough to combat potential terrorist=20
threats on planes.  Last week, federal Transport Minister David Collenette=
=20
unveiled new equipment for detecting explosives and other weapons at=20
Pearson International Airport in Toronto.  "I think that Canada's got the=20
best aviation and security regime in the world," Collenette told a news=20
conference Thursday, as he announced that a new federal agency was ready to=
=20
take over screening of passengers' baggage at the country's airports.
But a security consulting firm in New York isn't impressed by the measures=
=20
Ottawa has taken at air terminals since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist=20
attacks against the United States.  "From one to 10, and 10 is the highest,=
=20
I wouldn't give them more than four," says Isaac Yeffet.

"I didn't see serious changes that I can say, 'Oh Canada's improved =85=20
security to a level that in case terrorists would come to attack we can=20
stop them on the ground,'" he says.  Yeffet, who used to be in charge of=20
security at El Al Israel Airline, thinks Canada should hire new screening=20
staff, instead of simply upgrading the training of existing employees. He=20
also recommends that air marshals be put on every flight, rather than on=20
only a select few.  The organization representing flight attendants in=20
Canada says security has been tightened, but it's concerned that training=20
of airline workers is seriously out of date.  "We're still dealing with=20
hijackers on the procedures of the 1970s =96 negotiate, and give them=20
liquids," says Richard Balnis of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.

But the federal government argues that air travel is safer in Canada than=20
it used to be, especially now that a single agency has taken over security=
=20
at all airports.  The man taking over security at Canada's airports says=20
new training, new equipment, and a single organization in charge of=20
screening have already made flying here safer.  "The quality of the service=
=20
that we will be giving is higher, and it's also evolving," says Jacques=20
Duchesneau, the head of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

Written by CBC News Online staff

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt