NYTimes.com Article: Unions Bristle at United's Proposed Cuts

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Unions Bristle at United's Proposed Cuts

December 17, 2002
By EDWARD WONG

Union officials at United Airlines said yesterday that they
were shocked and angered by the size of the concessions the
company was demanding of them to meet cost-cutting
stipulations set by lenders.

The Association of Flight Attendants posted a message on
its Web site over the weekend telling members that United
wanted to cut $2.4 billion a year from labor costs and that
the company needed to reach agreements with its unions by
mid-February to continue to obtain financing.

The $2.4 billion in annual cuts would be two and a half
times what the unions tentatively agreed to in November. At
the time, United sought the concessions to bolster its
chances of obtaining a loan guarantee from the federal
government. The unions agreed to $5.2 billion over five and
a half years, but those agreements were voided when the
government rejected the loan guarantee request on Dec. 4.

Now that UAL, the parent company of United, is operating
under bankruptcy protection, it is back at the table with
its unions, which are indicating that the talks are not
going well.

"It's just staggering," Sara Dela Cruz, a spokeswoman for
the flight attendants' union, said of United's proposed
cuts. "We put our best foot forward to restructure outside
of bankruptcy. Now this is two and a half times that."

"We would certainly hope that we could argue successfully
that the flight attendants' contribution doesn't have to
change from before," she added.

One union official said that United had not told the flight
attendants exactly how much they would need to contribute
toward the $2.4 billion goal but began the process by
pointing out where savings could be extracted from the
union contract. As part of the earlier proposal, flight
attendants voted on Nov. 30 to allow the company to cut
wages, benefits and work rules to come up with $412
million.

The pilots' union was equally flustered by United's recent
request. It declined to comment on details in the
continuing talks but did nothing to hide its shock.

"We were stunned and puzzled and disappointed about the
material we received from the company on Friday," Lewis
Goldberg, a spokesman for the pilots' union, said
yesterday. "We're going to take time to see what this
means."

Although the flight attendants' union said the cost-cutting
agreements needed to be worked out by the middle of
February, Mr. Goldberg said the pilots were not working
under a firm deadline. United faces pressure to cut costs
drastically because of a timetable laid out by the four
lenders who agreed to give the company $1.5 billion in
debtor-in-possession financing. United has to meet certain
cash flow projections each month to maintain access to the
money.

When United was trying to obtain the federal loan
guarantee, the pilots' union gave the most support to cost
cuts; being an owner of 25 percent of the airline, the
pilots had the most to lose in a bankruptcy filing. Their
union agreed to $2.2 billion in cuts.

"We want to make it clear that we're not going to be
penalized in this process by having had a leadership role
in working with the company," Mr. Goldberg said.

Rich Nelson, a spokesman for United Airlines, declined to
comment on the concession talks.

The machinists' union posted on its Web site the terms that
United was seeking from its workers. The cuts are much
deeper than the previous round of concessions United had
proposed: an immediate 13 percent cut in hourly pay; an
elimination of raises from June 1, 2003, to July 1, 2004,
previously agreed to; a removal of some conditions that
make it difficult for the company to contract out jobs; an
allowance for an increase in the number of part-time ramp
workers.

A machinists' union spokesman did not return calls seeking
comment yesterday. The union said on its Web site that it
was reviewing the terms with its financial and legal
advisers, and that no further meetings were scheduled with
management. Neither the pilots nor the flight attendants
met with management yesterday, either.

The unions are aware that if they do not reach agreements
with United, the company can ask the bankruptcy judge to
nullify the union contracts.

Despite the thorny negotiations, one lender continued to be
optimistic that United would pull through.

"Regardless of what happens in the business cycle, we're
comfortable with the overall package here; with our
exposure, with the overall collateral package, with the
company's prospects for reorganization," said Mitch
Drucker, senior vice president for business credit at the
CIT Group, which agreed to provide $300 million of the $1.5
billion in financing. "We feel very good that this company
will eventually make it out of bankruptcy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/17/business/17AIR.html?ex=1041135360&ei=1&en=c4a58f2020c2b0d0

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company