Seattle gets OK to fill wetlands for third runway; opponents file suit

Seattle gets OK to fill wetlands for third runway; opponents file suit

SEATTLE (AP) =97 A third runway for Seattle-Tacoma International Airport=20
inched a little closer to reality when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers=20
issued a key permit. District engineer Col. Ralph Graves signed a permit=20
that will allow the Port of Seattle to permanently fill 19.62 acres of=20
wetlands for the construction of the 8,500-foot runway. Third runway=20
opponents responded by filing suit in federal court and requesting a court=
=20
order to prevent the port from beginning the fill. "I made this decision=20
fully conscious of its impact," Graves told a news conference Friday. "I've=
=20
become intimately familiar with the issues and concerns associated with the=
=20
third runway project." Graves said he realizes many people living near the=
=20
airport are vehemently opposed to a third runway. "I've read the comments=20
and considered the issues raised by the community, by agencies and the=20
port," he said. "After considering all the factors, I determined that a=20
permit was in the overall public interest."

In return for its favorable decision, the corps will require mitigation by=
=20
the port, including restoring 12 acres of wetlands on the construction=20
site, enhancing 78 acres of wetlands or buffer areas and preserving 2=20
acres. The corps also will require the port to create 30 acres of wetlands=
=20
near Auburn and enhance another 35 acres of wetlands and buffer areas. The=
=20
wetlands approval is the second of two major permits needed before the=20
runway, which has been sought for the past 15 years, can be completed.
A court trial is pending over another vital permit, which was issued by the=
=20
state. It contains several stringent conditions. The Port of Seattle hailed=
=20
Friday's decision, while the Airport Communities Coalition, a group opposed=
=20
to the new runway, filed suit and sought a preliminary injunction in U.S.=20
District Court. The suit challenges the permit; opponents also are asking=20
the court to block the port from moving more dirt. "I didn't think it was a=
=20
very good decision even though it took four years to make it," said Stuart=
=20
Creighton, chairman of the opponents' coalition. "It was not very well=20
thought out."

Creighton said bringing in 20 million to 25 million cubic yards of fill=20
dirt for the third runway was "totally unacceptable. "The basic issue is=20
that we do not believe that the Army Corps of Engineers did a complete job=
=20
in analyzing the need for a third runway or in providing us with the=20
environmental protections out here that we need in a project of this=20
magnitude," he said. Gina Marie Lindsey, Sea-Tac Airport's director for the=
=20
past nine years, called the permit decision good news. "Obviously, we're=20
very delighted that an arduous and complicated process has reached a=20
successful conclusion," she said. "This is a very important milestone for=20
this project." Graves said all information and analysis available indicated=
=20
the port's plan to build a third runway was "the least damaging practicable=
=20
alternative" and "is not contrary to public interest." Airport officials=20
have argued for more than a decade that another runway is needed to reduce=
=20
flight delays and maintain safe clearance between approaching planes in bad=
=20
weather.

Opponents say a new runway would contaminate nearby streams and water=20
supplies and is not needed because of recent declines in air traffic. The=20
port has spent more than $320 million on the runway, buying 388 homes and=20
other properties and hauling about 5 million cubic yards of fill onto the=20
site just west of the existing runways. Another 15 million cubic yards of=20
fill must be moved to the site to complete the new runway. Initially, port=
=20
officials planned to complete the runway by 2006. Now, "I think the best=20
case you're looking at is late '07, probably '08," Lindsey said. Graves=20
said he had no idea when the third runway would be built. "This is one of=20
the many permits the port has to get to construct," he said. Creighton said=
=20
he doesn't see a third runway ever being built.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt