Caribbean Star wants subsidies

T'dad  Guardian

Caribbean Star, the Antigua-based carrier owned by Texan billionaire Allen=
=20
Stanford, believes T&T taxpayers should subsidise the airline for any=20
reduction in the Tobago airbridge fare. Two-year old Caribbean Star began=20
operating the Tobago route in October. In an exclusive Guardian report=20
published two weeks ago, Trade and Industry Minister Ken Valley said the=20
State would provide BWIA and Tobago Express with $6 million in annual=20
subsidies for the reduced airfare. =93We believe that it (a subsidy) has to=
=20
be equitable in all business sectors and if subsidies are provided to one=20
they should be provided to all in the same business. Regardless if they are=
=20
government-owned or partly government =97 owned or not at all,=94 said Paul=
=20
Moreira, Caribbean Star chief executive from Antigua. Government has said=20
the fare on the Tobago airbridge will be reduced from $300 to $200 on=20
January 1, 2003.

That reduction would only apply to passengers who purchase their tickets=20
seven days in advance of their flights.
Asked about Caribbean Star=92s position on the fare reduction, Moreira said,=
=20
=93We have not been advised that the fare is going to be lowered to $200.=20
However, we support any fare that will stimulate business and is good for=20
Trinidad and Tobago.=94  Moreira said fair business practices would dictate=
=20
all the airlines that operate the Tobago airbridge receive subsidies.=20
Presently, the route is serviced by BWIA, Tobago Express, Caribbean Star=20
and another Antigua-based airline Liat. =93We would be very every concerned=
=20
if there was an uneven playing field for private sector investment,=94=20
Moreira said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt