NYTimes.com Article: Business Fliers' Loyalty Is United Asset

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Business Fliers' Loyalty Is United Asset

December 10, 2002
By JANE L. LEVERE with SUSAN STELLIN

Its hope for a federal bailout may be dashed, its workers
reeling, its creditors worried, its investors shellshocked
and its future uncertain. But just listen to its
frequent-flying customers.

"Right up until the very end I will stay loyal to them,
until there's no more United to fly," said James
Digironimo, president of James Martin Ltd., a jewelry
company in New York.

"United is always the same, very consistent," said Jim
Roseto, director of business development at SpectraLink, in
Boulder, Colo., a maker of workplace wireless telephone
systems. "It's like Wal-Mart. When you're in Florida,
Colorado, New York, you can expect the people and planes to
be the same. I'll continue to use them."

Russell Hyman, a management consultant in Chicago, said:
"Yes, I'm concerned about the bankruptcy. But at the
moment, I won't take any other airlines."

The negatives are pretty plain - muddled finances, worker
discontent, hungry rivals. Yet United, which filed for
bankruptcy protection yesterday, has an intangible asset as
it struggles to ride out the crisis: the loyalty of its
longtime business customers.

Not unconditional loyalty, to be sure. Mr. Roseto says he
has taken to flying on Frontier Airlines sometimes to save
money, though he still flies United twice a month. Mr.
Hyman regrets the disappearance of caviar from first class,
and says he does not believe United's excuse of a world
sturgeon shortage. And Sarah Woods, a senior vice president
at Navigant International in Santa Ana, Calif., is
distressed about the elimination of United's 1K rooms at
airports for customers who fly more than 100,000 miles a
year.

"I no longer have the perk of being in a smaller room where
they get to know you," Ms. Woods said. "Now I have to
belong to the Red Carpet room."

Nor is the airline without its defectors. Tony Korner,
publisher of Artforum magazine in Manhattan, says he will
be wary of flying United again after he asked for a blanket
on a flight from Tokyo to New York and "they didn't have
any." And Bob Markese, chief executive of Applimation, a
software company, has shifted his allegiance from United to
low-cost competitors like Southwest and ATA.

Although Mr. Markese, who commutes weekly to the company's
New York City headquarters or its Ann Arbor, Mich., office
from his home in suburban Chicago, has stuck with United
most of the last 15 years, he said that loyalty had "really
significantly waned" in the last couple of years.

"If the service is exactly the same, when you couple it
with the huge difference in the fare from Chicago to New
York, you say I can't justify another $400 or $600 to fly
on United versus ATA," he said.

But, other fliers say, that is a big if. Bruce Matthews,
sales executive for Synetix, a scientific research company
in Oakbrook Terrace, Ill., will not fly on ATA because, he
says, "I've heard they have too many issues with plane
maintenance and number of flights." He avoids American,
too, even though it has a hub in Chicago, because he once
had a run-in with its staff "and I found them not as as
friendly as United."

And United? Well, Mr. Matthews has flown more than a
million miles on the airline, which unlike most discount
carriers has an exhaustive international route structure.
The staff is friendly, he says, it flies everywhere he
needs to go and it addresses problems quickly. When a
flight from Chicago to San Francisco was canceled because
of bad weather two years ago, he says, he got a letter of
apology and voucher for $300 off another flight a few days
later.

Mr. Hyman, the Chicago consultant, says he flies United to
Asia and Australia at least six times a year and gets the
royal treatment when he arrives. In Hong Kong, he says,
"they meet you at the gate and drive you to customs in a
golf cart." Once, when a Sydney-Los Angeles flight was
canceled, United booked him on an Air New Zealand flight,
escorted him to that airline's desk and made sure his
luggage was properly checked.

For Marianne Fisher, owner of Paul Fisher Inc., an
import-export company in New York, it is the personal touch
that counts. "When I get on a plane, the flight attendants
greet me," she said. "The airline sends me coupons for
upgrading once a year."

Six months ago, as she was heading to the gate in Heathrow
Airport for a flight to Kennedy Airport, a United employee
told her the flight had been overbooked - but not to worry,
she had been put on a Virgin Atlantic flight and put on
that carrier's "upper class."

"They didn't just send me over to figure it out for
myself," she said. "They immediately made sure I was taken
care of."

Testimonials from business travelers are not the only
indication of United's versatility in the months ahead.
Industry experts say the airline has advantages for
weathering the storm that previous troubled carriers did
not.

Hal Rosenbluth, chief executive of Rosenbluth
International, the travel-management company, says that
evidence, both anecdotal and statistical, suggests that
customers will indeed stick with United, partly because
bankruptcy has lost its stigma and partly because corporate
contracts with the airline often require employees to keep
flying it.

Thom Nulty, president of Navigant International, another
travel-management company, says United's hugeness makes it
difficult for many fliers to defect, and adds that its
frequent-flier program will continue to keep others in its
camp. Randy Petersen, publisher of Inside Flyer, agreed,
saying United has something like 44 million Mileage Plus
members worldwide, including more than 800,000 who are
elite frequent fliers.

Moreover, Mr. Petersen said he did not expect any "ugly
marketing" by United's competitors because "all the other
airlines are not that far removed from its situation."

Justin Spring, a New York author who flies frequently to
San Francisco to work on book projects, muses that United's
troubles might mean better service ahead, not worse.

"Since it's going bankrupt, they treat you really well,"
Mr. Spring said. "The flight attendants go out of their way
to be nice."

Few fliers wax as enthusiastic as Mr. Digironimo, the New
York jeweler, and that may be significant because he has
had more opportunity than most people to do comparison
shopping. He has flown 100,000 miles or more on United each
year the last nine years, he says, and he racks up an
additional 250,000 miles annually on other airlines. His
travels take him all over the United States, Europe and
Asia.

"Of all the major carriers, United has been the one that's
consistently taken care of me best," he said. His devotion
dates back nine years to the time United plucked him from
an endless wait at the Hong Kong airport for a delayed
Northwest flight to New York and flew him back home first
class. Today, he says, he flies to Dallas through Chicago
just to take United, not for the miles.

"I just like flying United," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/business/10TRAV.html?ex=1040529306&ei=1&en=b11503d0bbbf11a6

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company