SF Gate: California passengers glad United flights aren't canceled

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/12/09/s=
tate2244EST0145.DTL
Monday, December 9, 2002 (AP)
California passengers glad United flights aren't canceled
RON HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

   (12-09) 05:33 PST SAN FRANCISCO (AP) --
   Some passengers in California were just glad their flights weren't
canceled as news of United Airlines' impending bankruptcy filing spread.
   Suzan Bond, of Chicago, checked in for a flight home late Sunday at the
United counter at San Francisco International Airport. She had been
keeping tabs of United's troubles through news accounts and said
bankruptcy would hasten her search for a new, more dependable carrier.
   "I think they're unstable, and I don't want to take a chance," she said.
She feared that future United flight schedules would be canceled or
altered due to scaled back service that United might offer after filing
for bankruptcy.
   United Airlines filed for federal bankruptcy court protection early Mond=
ay
after more than two years of growing losses and a rejection last week of a
plea for a federal loan guarantee.
   Dave and Pam Henson, who were at the Los Angeles International Airport en
route to their home in Fresno after spending a week in Mexico said they
had been watching the news since they recently booked their flight. They
were glad their flight wasn't canceled and hoped the bankruptcy wouldn't
have long-term repercussions because United is the main carrier at the
Fresno Airport.
   "Bankruptcy might not really be that bad a thing for them," Dave Henson
said. "Once they don't have to pay all their bills and can focus on paying
their people they could do better."
   United frequent flier Kimberly Owen, at Los Angeles International Airpor=
t,
said she wants to continue to give her business to the carrier, and
expressed faith in its future.
   "I think people should not be afraid," she said. "Because it's a huge
company, it's not going to go under. It would be bad for the country."
   Several employees outside the United terminal in Los Angeles said they
were told not to speak to reporters, but nevertheless said they hadn't
been told about the upcoming filing and had been receiving information on
the company's financial status through the news.
   "It's poor management from prior CEOs," said one employee, who like othe=
rs
said he had been told not to speak publicly about United's troubles.
   More than a quarter of United's employees are based in California. United
accounts for half the passenger traffic at San Francisco International
Airport, and it provides service from small city airports to major hubs in
San Francisco and Los Angeles
   Those smaller airports are worried they'll lose that essential service if
the company cuts less-profitable routes. So far, there is no plan to do
so, and the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based company has said it will keep
flying all routes.
   At San Francisco International, the company employs almost 14,000 people.
United employs more than 6,200 people, at Los Angeles International where
it's the largest passenger carrier and supplies 8 percent of the airport's
annual revenue with $39 million in landing fees and rentals.
   The Chicago-bound Bond seemed miffed that United has fallen so far.
   "It just makes me sad that it's not going to provide the jobs and the go=
od
service. I used to love United. It had amazing service, and I don't
believe that it does anymore," Bond said. "I probably won't fly on United
again."
   Jeremy Squires, another passenger flying to Chicago from San Francisco on
United, said the downfall of the carrier was endemic of large companies in
general.
   "It's just sort of the nature of business. They grow so big, they get to
the point where they can't grow anymore, or management changes and it just
dies," Squires said.

=20
Copyright 2002 AP