NYTimes.com Article: US Air's Chief Lender Threatens the Ultimate

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

US Air's Chief Lender Threatens the Ultimate

December 7, 2002
By MICHELINE MAYNARD

The chief executive of the primary lender to US Airways
said yesterday that he would liquidate the airline if
unions refused to provide $200 million in additional wage
and benefit concessions.

In an interview, David G. Bronner, head of the Retirement
Systems of Alabama, said that he did not expect to have to
follow through on his ultimatum and predicted that the
discussions between the airline and its employees would
result in an agreement by next week.

The concessions would be the second round in US Airways'
efforts to draft a reorganization plan under Chapter 11
protection from its creditors. US Airways has said it hopes
to submit its proposal to a federal bankruptcy court by
Dec. 20. Before that, it would like to receive final
approval for $900 million in loan guarantees from the
government, which gave it provisional approval last summer.

To do so, the airline has asked union members for further
cuts in pay and benefits. If they do not comply, Mr.
Bronner said in the interview, the airline would go out of
business and be liquidated in bankruptcy court. "What's
their alternative?" he asked rhetorically. "If they don't
want to do this, we'll Chapter 7 it."

Referring to the debtor-in-possession financing that the
Alabama pension system is providing the airline during its
time under bankruptcy protection, Mr. Bronner said that
without concessions, "we'll pull the D.I.P. financing and
they're gone."

His stance with the US Airways unions is an example of the
tough approach that analysts expect airlines to begin
taking with employees now that a United Airlines bankruptcy
filing seems highly likely.

Indeed, Mr. Bronner's comments came as Donald J. Carty, the
chairman and chief executive of American Airlines,
continued a series of meetings this week with groups of
employees. In the meetings, which began last week in
Chicago and are expected to continue through the end of the
year, Mr. Carty is emphasizing the financial crisis
American is facing and its need for concessions, an
American spokesman, Tim Doke, said. The airline is telling
employees that if United emerges from bankruptcy with labor
cost reductions, American will have to become similarly
lean, Mr. Doke said.

At US Airways, Mr. Bronner's words carry extraordinary
weight. As the result of negotiations completed this week,
Mr. Bronner, who directs the $25 billion Alabama fund, will
in effect take control of the airline's board at the point
US Airways emerges from bankruptcy.

Mr. Bronner and the airline agreed that he will have 7 of
the 13 seats on the board, up from the 5 that he and the
Alabama pension fund originally gained when he came forward
in September to bid for the airline.

Mr. Bronner said the seven seats would be equivalent to 72
percent voting control of the airline, for which he
initially agreed to provide $240 million in immediate
financing as well as $500 million more in
debtor-in-possession financing, outbidding the Texas
Pacific Group. US Airways has drawn $300 million of that
$500 million but cannot draw the remaining $200 million
until it emerges from bankruptcy.

Mr. Bronner said that he would occupy one of the seven
board seats, but had not decided who would have the others.
As part of the agreement with the airline, Mr. Bronner is
cutting his fund's stake, originally 37.5 percent, to 36
percent, so that a larger share can be given to unsecured
creditors. Management is also reducing its stake, to 8
percent from 10 percent. Whenever the company emerges from
bankruptcy, which it hopes to do by March, Mr. Bronner said
he would give 2 percent of his stake to management to
restore its lost holdings.

The negotiations came as US Airways struggles to reduce its
costs and complete its Chapter 11 plan. Though workers
cooperated in an initial round of concessions, some are
opposed now. Only the pilots' union has agreed to consider
further concessions. The machinists' union has rejected the
idea, while the flight attendants said they would
participate only if other unions did so.

Mr. Bronner asserted it was vital for the airline to obtain
work rules from the unions "that are in this century, and
not in the last century."

Yesterday, Scotty Ford, the president of the union chapter
that represents mechanics, said he was willing to meet with
US Airways on the matter. "We're just going to see what
they're going to say," Mr. Ford said.

Patricia Friend, international president of the Association
of Flight Attendants, was critical of Mr. Bronner. "He's
acting as though he believes an airline can be saved on the
back of the workers," she said. "It shows his lack of
experience. Maybe he's looking for an easy way out because
he made a mistake. There's not going to be anything to
govern if he liquidates."

Under the restructuring plan, unions will have three
representatives on US Airways' board, one each for pilots
and machinists, and the third to be shared by flight
attendants and other employee groups. But unlike their
counterparts at United Airlines, the union representatives
do not receive veto power over company affairs, nor will
the unions hold a stake in US Airways.

A spokesman for the airline, Chris Chiames, declined to
comment on Mr. Bronner's remarks but said, "We plan to be
working through the weekend, talking with our unions, and
have every confidence that we'll reach agreements."

Mr. Bronner said he had no regrets about investing in the
airline, despite the difficulties in this stage of the
reorganization plan. "It always gets ugly right at the
end," he said.

Officials at American, meanwhile, said their airline had no
timetable for achieving cost reductions. Nonetheless, the
carrier hopes that employees will rapidly agree to cuts
that will help achieve savings of $3 billion to $4 billion
a year by 2004, compared with what it spent on operations
in 2001. Management has already squeezed out spending cuts
of about $2 billion a year before approaching the union
groups, said Mr. Doke, who is American's vice president for
corporate communications.

"One of the purposes of these meetings is to give the sense
that this is a period of immediate financial crisis," he
said, "and we have to address it with that sense of
urgency. We have to acknowledge that this is a time where
we need to take a real hard look at our contracts, and look
for as many savings as we possibly can."

In the meetings, which involve senior executives of
American, the airline is providing employees with details
of those spending cuts, then presenting comparisons between
its labor costs and those of its competitors. The approach
is intended to show employees that they are not the only
source from which American is extracting savings.

But, Mr. Doke continued, "Obviously labor is a major
expense line in this company, and we're going to have at
some solutions to get us closer to the $3 billion to $4
billion target that will make us competitive."

While some analysts have speculated that American, based in
Fort Worth, could follow US Airways, and potentially
United, into bankruptcy court, the airline is not raising
that possibility with employees, he said, nor does it
expect that workers would put it in that position.

"None of our employees want to have anything close to a
United situation," he said. "I don't think there's any way
our employees will let us get to the point where a
creditors' committee and a bankruptcy judge are writing our
contracts."

But the airline is also not ignoring the economies that
United could achieve in bankruptcy. "If United emerges as
more competitive in their operations, we're going to have
to be competitive with them on the cost side," Mr. Doke
said.

He described the meetings as cordial, not adversarial,
adding, "It's kind of a 180 from the kind of approach our
friends in Alabama are taking."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/business/07WAYS.html?ex=1040276239&ei=1&en=a7b9645784ffa2a4

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company