Universal Airlines wants the Caribbean

By Richardson Dhalai
T'dad Guardian

With international airlines fighting for survival comes word that a new
airline seeks to carve its niche in the Caribbean market.  Universal
Airlines, owed by Guyanese businesswomen Rameshree Singh and Chandramatie
Harpaul, was registered with the American Federal Aviation Authority on
September 10, 2001 with a single, wide-bodied, Boeing 767-300 aircraft
leased from European carrier Lot-Polish Airlines.  They had four additional
aircraft identification licences on file to facilitate further
expansion.  Now, a year later, the airline has assumed the mantle of the
official Guyanese flag carrier in South America, providing international
schedule, passenger, cargo and mail services between Guyana, and the US via
T&T.  Vishnu Mahadeo, vice-president, special marketing and revenue
management, believes the Caribbean market can amply support another airline
in spite of the financial difficulties currently being experienced by LIAT,
Air Jamaica, and BWIA.  Universal Airlines, he said, is a "product of
9/11," coming in when the entire industry was undergoing a "overhaul."  "We
are definitely sensitive to the needs of the industry and our passengers,
and we have adjusted the size of the company accordingly," he
said.  "However, this does not mean we have neglected our passengers safety
and comfort for the bottom line," he said, adding, "We have the largest
leg-room of any aircraft in the Caribbean, and our in-flight cuisine are
all authentic  Caribbean dishes."  As for maintenance of the aircraft, he
said, the wet-lease arrangement with Lot-Polish ensures that a
fully-serviced aircraft is always available.  "Our in-flight crew, apart
from the pilots who are Polish, are all Caribbean nationals," he
said.  Universal has also begun flying to five other Caribbean countries:
T&T, Cuba, St Kitts, Aruba, and Suriname.  And in keeping with its
Trinidadian thrust, Universal Airlines recently opened an office at Centre
Point Mall, Chaguanas.

"We believe the Caribbean pie is big enough for everyone to share," he
said  The airline has begun negotiations with Virgin Atlantic for a
possible alliance between both companies  The airline has also developed
working relationships with both Caribbean Star airlines and Suriname
Airways  Universal Airlines recently flew a charter flight to Cuba from
Guyana, ending at JFK airport, with the approval of the US State
Department.  The airline also brought an expatriate Caribbean contingent
from New York to see the Indian cricket team tour of the West Indies.  "We
have issued a circular to them (workers) to calm their fears that we are
transferring equity. We have not talked about transferring equity with
anybody.  "Petrotrin does need some help in doing a lot of things that
Petrotrin needs to do," he added, saying they have not talked  seriously
about in what form that help would come.  Some US$300 million is needed to
upgrade the refinery.

In this vein, Bertrand said: "A joint venture partner is an option for the
refinery, for more that one reason. The money is one, technology is
another, supply of crude, you know the refinery needs 160,000 barrels per
day and we only produce 55 -60,000 of that in the refinery, so of course
there are all kinds of options and all kinds of alliances that do not
necessarily call for equity transfer," Bertrand explained.  He said with
hard work, Petrotrin can survive on its own.  "For the moment, I am there
to put in that hard work, but Petrotrin, there is some help it needs, so we
are looking at all the options."  With respect to the relocation of Trinmar
for future LNG expansion, Bertrand said they are also looking at all the
options to see whether the two companies can co exist or whether one will
have to move.  He said if they have to move, the location may not
necessarily be the La Brea Industrial Estate which is being redeveloped.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Island Events) http://www.islandevents.com
(Island Events)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt