NYTimes.com Article: Trading Resumes After United Stock Fall

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Trading Resumes After United Stock Fall

December 5, 2002
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 2:41 p.m. ET

CHICAGO (AP) -- Shares of United Airlines' parent tumbled
64 percent Thursday after being halted for most of the
morning, a day after the world's second-largest carrier
lost its request for government loan backing it said was
needed to keep it out of bankruptcy.

Amid heightened speculation on Wall Street that a
bankruptcy filing may be imminent, the New York Stock
Exchange had stopped trading in United parent UAL Corp.'s
shares early Thursday because of ``news that's pending that
could materially affect the trading of the stock,'' NYSE
spokesman Ray Pellecchia said.

Before trading was stopped, UAL shares opened down $1.84,
or 59 percent, to $1.28 -- their lowest level in more than
40 years. When trading resumed in the early afternoon,
shares extended their decline and were down $2.01 at $1.11.

Chief executive Glenn Tilton, following a meeting with
leaders of the pilots' union that holds the largest single
stake in the airline, declined to say whether United will
file for bankruptcy but said it is not inevitable.

Asked whether bankruptcy is a foregone conclusion, Tilton
told Chicago's WLS-TV: ``No. What we have said is we're
going to consider all of our options and nothing really is
a foregone conclusion.''

He also said passengers should not be fearful of
bankruptcy: ``We're going to be much better for this
experience -- absolutely no doubt about it.''

Analysts said the rejection of United's request for $1.8
billion in federal loan guarantees all but ensures a
Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. It would be the largest
bankruptcy in airline industry history.

Standard & Poor's further downgraded United's corporate
credit ratings, noting that nearly $1 billion in debt due
next week already is considered in default. Credit analyst
Philip Baggaley cited the ``disappearance of any realistic
possibility'' of paying it off and avoiding bankruptcy.

Tilton assured passengers and United's 83,000 employees
late Wednesday that ``whatever course we chart, it should
be emphatically clear that United will continue to fly.''

Barring an unlikely turn of events, that course will almost
certainly take it into federal bankruptcy court as soon as
this week.

``We believe bankruptcy is inevitable,'' J.P. Morgan
analyst Jamie Baker wrote in a note to investors Thursday.

``I can't imagine them avoiding it unless someone writes
them a check for $2 billion,'' said Ray Neidl of Blaylock
and Partners.

Cash-starved United has said for months that without
government backing, it couldn't get the $2 billion private
loan it needs to avoid bankruptcy. It faces $920 million in
debt payments due next week, which would wipe out most of
its fast-dwindling cash.

Germany's Lufthansa, which along with United belongs to the
14-member Star Alliance of airlines, said Thursday it was
in talks about offering assistance to its embattled
partner.

``Lufthansa won't leave a good friend in the lurch,'' said
spokesman Thomas Jachnow of Europe's No. 2 airline,
although he cautioned that ``whether an investment,
cooperation or support in whatever form -- no decision has
been taken.''

Should Lufthansa step in, it would want any financial
investment to be secured on assets such as planes or real
estate, Jachnow said.

After the government's rejection of loan guarantees on
Wednesday, United's mechanics canceled a vote scheduled for
Thursday on $700 million in wage cuts that the carrier said
were needed immediately to avert bankruptcy. Union leaders
said the panel's ruling rendered the vote moot.

United's unions assailed the decision by the government
panel, which was created last year to help the financially
strapped airline industry recover after the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks.

``We were ready to partner with United, the union coalition
and the government to return United Airlines into the
nation's premier carrier,'' said Tom Buffenbarger,
president of the Machinists' union that represents the
13,000 mechanics and aircraft cleaners who were to have
voted. ``Unfortunately, the United States government walked
out on that partnership.''

United, the world's largest carrier until American Airlines
overtook it last year, traces its problems to a decline in
passengers because of the economy and the terrorist
attacks, an increase in competition from smaller discount
airlines and failed strategies. It has lost more than $4
billion since the middle of 2000 and is on pace for an
industry-record loss exceeding $2 billion for the second
straight year.

The government board said that despite United's efforts to
pare costs, including $5.2 billion in proposed labor
cutbacks, ``the business plan submitted by the company is
not financially sound.''

The board said United's plan ``does not support the
conclusion that there is a reasonable assurance of
repayment and would pose an unacceptably high risk to U.S.
taxpayers.''

Tilton expressed disappointment but didn't say whether the
company would file for bankruptcy or file a revised
proposal.

``We appreciate, however, the possibility expressed to
consider an improved proposal at a later date,'' he said.
``We will consult with our union leaders and other
stakeholders and quickly determine what step to take
next.''

Two of the three board members -- Treasury's undersecretary
for domestic finance, Peter Fisher, and Federal Reserve
Board member Edward Gramlich -- rejected United's request.
The third member, Kirk Van Tine, the general counsel of the
Transportation Department, wanted to defer a decision until
Dec. 9 to allow United to submit additional financial
information.

``This is not just about costs; it's about a business plan
that is fundamentally flawed,'' Fisher said.

The board's executive director, Daniel Montgomery, told
reporters that United can still file a revised request with
the board even if it were to file for bankruptcy.

In bankruptcy, United's stock would probably become
virtually worthless and it would lose control of its
restructuring to a judge. The airline is 55 percent owned
by its employees.

A person familiar with United's situation said the airline
was close to securing $1.5 billion debtor-in-possession
financing that would be needed to keep it operating while
in bankruptcy. The airline has been in negotiations with
several banks organizing the loan, including J.P. Morgan,
Bank One and GE Capital, a unit of General Electric, said
the person, speaking on condition of anonymity.

^------

AP Business Writer Brad Foss contributed to this report.

^------

^On the Net:

ATSB:
http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domestic-finance/atsb/index.html

United: http://www.united.com

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-United-Airlines.html?ex=1040123649&ei=1&en=6c371dddf15689de

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company