Re: No guns for our airline pilots ......

I'd be asking why did they do this? What did we do to provoke this? Why were
we a target? What constructive steps can we take to address the root cause of
the issue? I don't believe in an eye for an eye etc. It's a stupid policy
that can only lead to more nastiness. Sure there are baddies out there that
need to be dealt with, but it's best done covertly, quietly,  intelligently.

You forget I've lived all my life with the very real and demonstrated threat
of terrorism.  It's been through the onset of constructive negotiation in the
last ten years that progress has been made in one of the longest running,
most bitter disputes on the planet - Ireland. The threat to that is that the
rule of the gun will swing around again if the talking stops and more people
will get killed. That's what you have in the US now. No one is talking. Still
I digress.

I maintain that arming the pilots won't help guard against an organised
"terrorist" cell planning to hijack an airliner. Nothing really can or will.
We may as well accept that the price for the freedom of flying is the very
small chance of such an event and move on. Screening (Properly done), well
run security and new identification technologies are all positive helpful
steps.

Guns in cockpits is just political rhetoric and a distractor to flight
safety.

I'd still be interested to know how the weapons would be handled in the event
of an armed pilot flying into say Europe. Surely they must be kept somewhere
secure? I'd like to see a special branch officer relieve them of their
weapons before they disembark the aircraft and return them to the crew when
they embark. That in itself is a security nightmare. Uncontrolled weapons
floating around a secure area...It's just a nightmare.

David