Trip Report OAK/LGB

Got my first flights on JetBlue over the Thanksgiving weekend. =20

28 Nov OAK-LGB Flight 243 A320-232
The web page for JetBlue said recommended check in of 90 minutes.  =
However, I think this is only for people checking in luggage (I only had =
a carry-on) for there was no one at the check-in counter at the gate =
until about 40 minutes before the flight.  Service onboard was below =
that of Southwest.  No sodas served on this flight (it left at 0850) so =
I got some water.  The flight attendant handed me the bottle and was =
going on to the next row when I asked for a cup of ice.  She looked at =
me like I was asking for a meal!  No peanuts - would have preferred =
these over the New York Style Bagel Chip Mix, Blue Chips, and Biscotti.  =
They served the drinks first then came by with the snack.  Would have =
made more sense to serve both at the same time.  (Two flight attendants =
served two sections of the aircraft - one carrying the =
juices/water/coffee and the other carrying the ice on the first trip =
through then one came through with the snacks).

29 Nov LGB-OAK Flight 252 A320-232
Arrived at the airport 1.5 hours early.  Was able to print my own =
boarding pass in the terminal without having to wait in line.  This was =
a good thing because either the airport or JetBlue requires a boarding =
pass before going into the gate area. (I saw a sign about boarding pass =
required at the entrance to the JetBlue gate area; didn't see one at the =
other airlines)
Scheduled departure was 1750. Flight left at 19:50 due to an evacuation =
of the airport.  The airport was evacuated for just over 2 hours, not 90 =
minutes like the airport personnel told the media.  A person's laptop =
tested (falsely) for a bomb.  The owner didn't pick it up after going =
through security so the terminal was evacuated.  It took the bomb squad =
over an hour to get to the airport.  Unlike the people who got =
compensated for a mechanical delay back east, there was no offer of =
compensation for people on this flight, although when the plane was =
nearly empty at OAK, the flight attendant mad an announcement about =
"those people who were talked to will get a credit if they call into =
reservations with their flight conformation number."  Don't know if this =
was refering to credit for their frequent flyer program or for cash.

Overall impressions
First, it was great to have American citizens who spoke English at the =
security checkpoints.  They were also polite and helpful.  They reminded =
people to empty their pockets of all metal, including coins, etc.  They =
were all alert and had a smile on their face.

Having flown on Southwest many times, it's only natural that I compare =
my airline flights with them. I believe Southwest has the best service =
of any airline I've flown on.  With Southwest being a 10 (top service), =
JetBlue falls in at about 7.5 to 8.

One thing about JetBlue is that they accept e-mail comments and =
complaints from their web page.  On Saturday, I e-mailed them with my =
observations (those mentioned above and a couple of others), then left =
the house.    I was really pleasantly surprised to find a full answer =
waiting for me 2 hours later (not just an acknowledgement of my e-mail =
but a full answer!) - and this was on the Saturday of a 4 day weekend! I =
wrote back saying thank you for the rapid response.    This is something =
that I wish Southwest did.

I will be flying to LGB on Christmas Day, again  on JetBlue.  Will be =
interesting to see how the service is then.

LGB: Long Beach=20
OAK: Oakland

David Ross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/