Air travelers avoid long lines with automation

Air travelers avoid long lines with automation
By James Pilcher, Gannett News Service

Looking for a faster way to get through airports during the busy holiday
travel season?  Check out the self-service computer kiosks showing up in
more and more airports across the nation, say frequent business travelers
such as Cincinnati-area salesman Barry Burgoyne.  "They've got me with the
technology, that's for sure," Burgoyne said after spending less than a
minute to check in and print a boarding pass from a kiosk at the
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. "I don't know if it
actually is any quicker, but it seems to be. And that makes all the
difference in the world to me."  According to airline officials, automation
benefits not only travelers tired of waiting in line but also the
cash-strapped airlines looking to improve customer service while reducing
head count and employee costs.  "This has been a huge win-win," said Rob
Maruster, Delta Air Lines' director of airport strategy and services. "It
gives our employees more time to spend with the passengers who need it, and
gives our passengers control over their own transactions and speeds
everything up."

Airlines have upped their technology offerings in the past year. Delta, for
example, has deployed 430 self-service kiosks at 80 airports across the
nation.  Each station can handle three passengers at a time with an
interactive touch screen that allows a passenger to do anything from use
frequent-flier miles to upgrade to first class to make a seat change to
print a boarding pass. An airline employee is always on hand to answer
questions and take checked luggage.  Maruster said more than 5.5 million
passengers have used the kiosks this year through October.  Continental
Airlines, which has 672 kiosks nationally, says 70% of all of its customers
use self-service check-in.  "We've seen a threefold benefit in terms of
better customer service, productivity and utilization of space from what we
spent on the technology," said Scott O'Leary, manager of eService programs
for Continental, the first domestic airline to install kiosks in 1996. "And
we have people getting through in as little as 15 seconds."

Travelers say the ability to bypass long ticket lines reduces stress at
their airport, but doesn't mean they can arrive at the airport later for
flights because it's impossible to predict how long it will take to get
through security.  "I was really reluctant at first to use them, but now I
don't know what I'd do without them," said Michael Heffner, a New York
auction house owner, who flies two or three times a month. "They make it
faster even in LaGuardia in New York. The lines at customer service there
are always horrible, but with these machines, I can walk right through."

James Pilcher writes for The Cincinnati Enquirer.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Island Events) http://www.islandevents.com
(Island Events)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt