Air Transat back in BUF

Air Transat resumes WNY flights
Joe Iannarelli     Business First
Air Transat will continue to test the U.S. market with nonstop flights from
Buffalo to Cancun, Mexico, and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic later
this month and in the new year.

Operations begin at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport on Dec. 21. A
total of 17 flights from Buffalo to Cancun are scheduled through April. Nine
flights to Punta Cana, starting Feb. 20, are scheduled through April.

Air Transat specializes in charter flights from several Canadian and
European cities to destinations in the south during the winter and in Europe
and Canada during the summer. Based at the Montreal International Airport,
its fleet of 17 aircraft serves 90 destinations in 25 countries.

"This is our third winter season in Buffalo," said Michel Lemay, Air Transat
spokesman. "Two years ago it went really well but last year was tough
because of Sept. 11."

Air Transat initially offered one flight a week to Punta Cana. Service to
Cancun was added last year.

"As a charter carrier we are always in a position to change flights but
volume was significant enough to add additional service," Lemay said. "It's
always a matter of dialogue with tour operators. They truly see the supply
and demand effect."

Air Transat's market presence appears to be gaining momentum with Western
New York travelers.

"We've seen our members really embrace this and it's good news for any
Western New York traveler looking for warm climates in the winter," said
Wally Smith, vice president of AAA Western and Central New York. "It's a
good fit for everybody. Air Transat realizes there is an opportunity to
market what we have here in Buffalo. They are drawing from markets in
Canada. It makes more sense for some Canadians to drive to Buffalo instead
of Toronto."

"These trips sell out and Air Transat has a diverse portfolio of offerings
in terms of high end hotels," said Jean Covelli, president of The Travel
Team Inc. "They appeal to a good cross section of travelers. They have dual
markets to pull from. Nonstop service stimulates passenger bookings."