Northwest pilots raise concern about alliance

Northwest pilots raise concern about alliance

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) =97 The union representing Northwest Airlines' 6,000 pilots=
=20
is concerned that the carrier's proposed alliance with Delta and=20
Continental could hurt job security, income and work rules. "We want to=20
make sure there won't be a decrease in flying by our pilots," Air Line=20
Pilots Association spokesman Will Holman told the St. Paul Pioneer Press in=
=20
Wednesday's edition, adding that the union had the authority to veto the=20
alliance. "We want to help the company. But we also want to protect our=20
pilots," Holman said. Earlier this month, the U.S. Department of=20
Transportation delayed for the third time its decision about the proposed=20
code-sharing alliance, pushing the deadline for a ruling back to late=20
December. The alliance would allow each partner to act as an extension of=20
the other members' networks, selling seats on each others planes.

Northwest pilots say they're mainly concerned about jobs. By this February,=
=20
Northwest will have laid off about 630 pilots since the September 2001=20
terrorist attacks. Northwest, the nation's fourth largest carrier, says it=
=20
is working with its pilots union to give members information they need to=20
make a decision about the alliance. Eight state attorneys general,=20
including Minnesota's, have said the alliance "raises antitrust questions=20
concerning the potential weakening of competition, including possible=20
effects on pricing, consumer choice and level of service." Delta and union=
=20
negotiators for its pilots have reached an agreement to allow that airline=
=20
to join the alliance.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(nalis) http://www.nalis.gov.tt
(T&T National Library & Information System Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt