Security at Int'l Connections

OK, here is a question that has been on my mind for
some time...Back this spring, we flew ZRH-DFW-ATL on
AA. After arrival in DFW and after customs check, we
have baggage recheck. I had acquired some F/C menus
onboard the flight inbound (no we were in Y class),
and in the hallway from customs to baggage recheck, I
open my checked bag and put them in.....I don't
remember anyone looking at us, no cameras, whatever.

What was to prevent me from potentially taking a
weapon OUT of my checked bag at this point!

Bryant Petitt
Cumming, GA