Lunch Crunch

Nation News - Tuesday 19, November-2002

If you are travelling to Miami on American Airlines and won=92t be satisfied=
=20
with a Granola Bar and a Coke as a meal, then pack your own lunch before=20
boarding.  On the return journey from the Florida peninsula, passengers=20
waiting to board the American Airlines flight are told: =93All passengers=20
travelling in coach to Barbados are reminded that this is a beverage-only=20
flight. You are however welcomed to purchase your own food in the terminal=
=20
and take it on board.=94  About 40 minutes into the flight passengers are=20
treated to a soft drink, juice, coffee or tea and a small pack of=20
pretzels.  Tamara Wilson, a reservations agent with the American Airline,=20
confirmed yesterday the airline was no longer serving meals on some=20
flights, depending on duration.  =93There is a list of flights on which we=
 do=20
not serve meals and that depends on how long the flight is,=94 she said, but=
=20
declined to list the flights.

Wilson explained that it was a cost-saving measure which started after the=
=20
September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States that created a=20
major slump in air travel resulting in major losses for most=20
airlines.  While American Airlines continues to serve meals on the=20
four-and-a-half hour New York-Barbados route, some travellers complained=20
that the Barbados-Miami cut was hurting since that Florida city was a major=
=20
gateway for Barbadians travelling to other East Coast cities as well as=20
neighbouring states and even to the United States West Coast. These can=20
comprise a series of back-to-back short flights that also don=92t include=
 hot=20
meals.

Officials at Air Jamaica, on the other hand, stressed they had not stopped=
=20
serving meals on any flights but had instituted other cost-saving=20
measures.  =93There is a meals service on every flight and it is usually a=
=20
choice of fish or chicken. We have never stopped serving meals on any of=20
our flights. In fact, we serve full, hot meals,=94 regional manager Abdul=20
Pandor said.  =93We know that some airlines have cut back on meals as means=
=20
of cutting cost. We are also cutting cost but we decided to do it in other=
=20
areas such as [office] stationery. All our flights from the Eastern=20
Caribbean, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada =96 all flights to New York=
=20
or Jamaica have hot meals.=94  BWIA, like Air Jamaica, reported they had no=
=20
plans at this time to discontinue serving hot meals on international=20
flights.  Efforts to get a comment from officials at Barbados Flight=20
Kitchen on the impact of American Airlines=92 cutbacks on their business=
 were=20
unsuccessful.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(chgdev) http://www.chagdev.com/
(Chaguaramas Development Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt