Jetsgo taking Air Canada and Quebec government to Competition Bureau

DONALD MCKENZIE
Canadian Press  Friday, November 15, 2002

MONTREAL (CP) - Regional airline Jetsgo filed a complaint with the federal
Competition Bureau on Friday over a deal between Air Canada and the Quebec
government the rival carrier says hurts its business.  Under the agreement,
Quebec government employees will fly Air Canada at full fare most of the
time while the Montreal-based airline offers other travellers fare
reductions of up to 70 per cent on 15 regional routes within the province.
Jetsgo president Michel Leblanc reiterated his belief that the deal will
hurt his airline and flies in the face of free-market values.  "Basically,
the Quebec government has just given all its business at high fares, lock,
stock and barrel, to Air Canada,  and it will just create an insurmountable
barrier to (market) entry," Leblanc said in an interview.  Leblanc said it
will cost the Quebec government $358 to buy a one-way ticket between
Bagotville and Montreal, while the same flight on Jetsgo costs $78.  "It's
just a waste of public money."

Leblanc said he wants the Competition Bureau to reject the proposed
three-year deal as quickly as possible.  "It has very long-term issues for
Jetsgo and all competitors of Air Canada in this country. If every
provincial government cut a deal like this with Air Canada, you wouldn't
see any competition in any regional routes in Canada."  Air Canada (TSX:AC)
said it has not been notified of any complaint by the Competition
Bureau.  "An agreement in principle was reached with the Quebec government
to ensure the continuation of viable air service to regional communities
throughout the province of Quebec," Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said
from Toronto. "We've not been officially notified by the bureau of a
specific complaint. Obviously, we'll respond to the bureau directly in due
course, when and if a complaint is received."

Quebec junior transport minister Jacques Baril also said earlier this week
the deal is a viable solution to the problem of regional airline travel in
the province.  And on Friday, a spokeswoman for Baril expressed
astonishment at Jetsgo's decision.  "Everybody knew we were negotiating
with Air Canada and had been doing so since the beginning of the summer,"
Karine Giasson said in an interview from Quebec City. "Other promoters came
to us with projects and to talk to us but Jetsgo never did."  Giasson also
denied the deal violates federal competition rules.  "Air Canada was
already offering cut-rate fares on seven of the 15 routes, and we have no
fears of this representing unfair competition."

Under the deal, Air Canada will get $14 million of the $16 million that
Quebec spends on airline tickets for its employees every year. The airline
now gets $11.5 million of the $16 million.  Giasson said the government is
not giving Air Canada any direct money.  Leblanc, meanwhile, accused the
Quebec government of underhanded business practices because it never
invited Jetsgo to get in on the bidding.  "They did it quietly behind our
backs while they knew we were starting regional routes. It is totally
unacceptable."  He said the agreement could destroy Jetsgo's expansion
plans in Quebec forever. The airline is hoping to begin Montreal-Saguenay
flights Nov. 25.  "Basically, it (the deal) tells the world: 'We've just
made sure that Air Canada would maintain its monopoly in Quebec.' "  "And I
don't understand the Quebec government doing that with a company that is
unilingual and that's in the papers day in and day out," he said, referring
to passenger complaints that Air Canada's French-language services are
inadequate.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(chgdev) http://www.chagdev.com/
(Chaguaramas Development Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt