NYTimes.com Article: Report: United Air Faces Deadline

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Report: United Air Faces Deadline

November 14, 2002
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:45 a.m. ET

CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines' chief executive says the
nation's No. 2 carrier has until Dec. 2 to pull together
its overhaul plan, including a federal loan guarantee
package, to avoid filing for bankruptcy, a published report
said Thursday.

The December date is tied to United's deadline to make a
$375 million debt payment on loans backed by aircraft.

United parent UAL Corp., which is losing more than $7
million a day, is trying to overcome its financial woes by
securing a $1.8 billion loan guarantee from the government.

The Air Transportation Stabilization Board, which will
decide whether United receives the loan, knows of the
airline's Dec. 2 deadline and has said it has no timetable
for making a decision.

``We don't have to convince anybody that the situation is
dire,'' United's CEO Glenn Tilton told The New York Times
in Thursday's editions.

Tilton argued that United has met conditions required for
the $1.8 billion federal backing for a $2 billion bank
loan, including union concessions and identifying billions
of dollars in cost cuts.

If United should be forced to file, Tilton said he thought
it would survive a bankruptcy reorganization.

``It would not be the end of United if we were to do so,''
Tilton told the Times. ``We would be flying the next
morning.''

But Tilton said the carrier should be focusing on getting
the federal loan guarantee.

``What is perplexing me,'' he said, ``is this notion that
we ought to get it over with'' and file for bankruptcy
protection.

Talks are still ongoing between United and its mechanics,
the last of the large unions that has not agreed to a
cost-cutting agreement. United has obtained a $2.2 billion
wage-cutting deal with its 8,800 pilots and $412 million in
concessions from 26,000 flight attendants.

The Elk Grove Village-based carrier is targeting a total of
$5.8 billion in labor cutbacks, which will be key in its
application for the loan guarantee.

------

On the Net:

United Airlines: www.united.com

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-United-Debt.html?ex=1038282530&ei=1&en=f3816f6604d3a992

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company