Concorde engine trouble spreads panic on New York-Paris flight

Concorde engine trouble spreads panic on New York-Paris flight

PARIS (AP) =97 The pilot of an Air France Concorde en route from New York to=
=20
Paris rapidly descended 27,000 feet after one of the plane's engines=20
malfunctioned as passengers clutched each other in fear, the airline and=20
passengers said Tuesday. None of the 67 passengers was injured and the=20
flight arrived safely at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport Monday night, the=
=20
official said. The cause of the engine trouble was not immediately known.=20
Air France said that one of the supersonic jet's four engines malfunctioned=
=20
during the Atlantic crossing. The pilot shut down that engine and flew the=
=20
plane from 60,000 feet to 33,000 feet and leveled off. A passenger on the=20
flight, Amar Belgacem, said the plane descended fast and passengers=20
panicked. "All the plates, glasses, all the food crashed to the ground,"=20
Belgacem told France-2 television. "We grabbed onto our neighbors ...=20
everyone was saying prayers. I had the fright of my life."

The incident came nearly two and a half years after an Air France Concorde=
=20
crashed shortly after takeoff from Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport. All=20
109 people on board were killed, along with four on the ground. An=20
investigation concluded that the Concorde crashed after a tire was=20
punctured by a stray metal strip on the runway, propelling pieces of rubber=
=20
into the fuel tank and igniting a fire. Air France and British Airways, the=
=20
only airlines that operate the jet, grounded their fleets and revamped the=
=20
planes to address safety concerns. The luxury aircraft was returned to=20
service in November 2001.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt