Refunds, free flights for travellers with cancelled trips

Chris Purdy, Journal Staff Writer
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, October 18, 2002

Western Canada's newest airline, HMY Airways, has pushed back next month's
launch date and cancelled its first three weeks of flights.

"We just have a number of different things we're still putting into place,"
general manager Brent Statton said Thursday from the charter airline's head
office in Vancouver.

HMY has parked its first Boeing 757 in Vancouver and is waiting for its
second plane to arrive, said Statton. That plane will fly out of Edmonton
and Calgary.

The airline's inaugural flight set for Nov. 1 will take off on Nov. 22
instead.

Statton refused to say how many travellers, including those from Edmonton,
were booked on the flights departing prior to Nov. 22.

They will have a choice of a refund, a flight on another airline or a later
flight on HMY. In addition, they will all receive a free flight to any of
HMY's destinations to be taken by the end of 2003.

By mid-December, there should be seven flights a day leaving Edmonton for
Mexico, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, Statton said.

Vancouver-based billionaire and business tycoon David Ho set up HMY earlier
this year after he got fed up waiting 18 hours in Hawaii for a return flight
to Vancouver.

HMY intends to fill the void left by the collapse of Canada 3000 last
November.

Canada West, a second airline attempting to break into the market, had to
reschedule its fall launch to April while searching for more investors.

HMY appears to have substantial backing, and its delay is disappointing,
said Dale Gillis with Vacations Plus in Edmonton.

Like other travel agents, he has booked some vacationers on HMY for trips to
Mexico.

Other travel companies said they will not book with HMY until it proves
viable.

"People work hard for their holidays so we don't slap them on any old
thing," said

Ramona Rousseau at Payless for Travel.

"If HMY survives the summer and they're still around next year, in my books
they're good."