... But Gets Promise of More US Airways Service

From www.wstm.com:

Senator Wants To Land Lower Airfares In Syracuse

Edited by Dave  <mailto:dpieklik@wstm.com> Pieklik

   Senator Schumer brought in David Siegel, the C.E.O. of U.S. Airways,
to a meeting at Hancock Airport.  Both sides are open to discussion on
how to make service and prices better here, but at the same time
allowing the airline to be profitable.
   It has been dialogue that wasn't possible with the company's old
boss.
   "And he said, 'Well, you ought to find some new competition.'  So I
did," Schumer says.
   Schumer brought Jet Blue and Southwest Airways to New York State and
is in the process of   lobbying U.S. Air, one of the nation's largest
carriers, and one that accounts for more than a third of the flights out
of Syracuse.
   Says Schumer:  "We can't survive very well without a strong U.S. Air
in upstate New York.  They have the infrastructure, they have the
network we need."
   Siegel told an audience of nearly 50 businessmen and aviation
officials that Central New York is "critical" to the airline's long-term
success, which is currently operating in bankruptcy with loans from the
federal government.
   Part of the company's plan is to have an all-jet fleet, meaning
someday there will be no more prop planes carrying passengers to its
hubs.  And of course, it means cheaper prices; just how much will remain
unknown for now.
   "I don't want to talk about fares specifically.  That's not something
an airline executive likes to do. But we will be competitive," Siegel
says.
   And making prices more competitive is what Schumer is trying to do,
knowing all too well that people from Central New York are driving to
Albany and Buffalo because it's cheaper to fly from there.