Unions ready to save BWIA

T'dad Guardian

While the unions for BWIA have assured airline CEO, Conrad Aleong of their
commitment to save the airline, they also expressed some concerns.In a
release yesterday, chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Airline Pilots
Association, Captain Edward Goddard said pilots voiced concerns about
Aleong's recent statements. "We are asking for the opportunity to examine
the total remedial action, as this could allow them to make recommendations
for cost containment in all areas of the airline's operations. We cannot
operate in a vacuum. "For us to participate meaningfully, we must know how
other areas will be addressed. We are committed to saving the airline, so
we want to be sure that we are not just putting plaster on a cancer," said
Goddard. Serious financial problems which Aleong mentioned might have a
damaging effect on public confidence in the airline, Goddard
added.President of the Aviation and Communication Workers Union (ACAWU),
Christopher Abraham also wrote a letter to Aleong, asking for further
particulars on the concessions. Talpa is also asking for more details on
the action plan of the company to save US$1 million.Abraham said the unions
were expected to meet with workers yesterday evening to inform them of the
letters and listen to concerns.Talpa was concerned with the need for
assurance that cost savings measures do not impact negatively on the
airline's  competitiveness and revenue earning capability.This, Goddard
said, could eventually result in an increased deficit for the
airline.Goddard also said the strategies proposed by the management of the
airline for the pilots have been in the works since 1998 and they are yet
to be implemented. He said this may mean the strategies need to be
re-examined.The pilots are also concerned the integrity of the airline is
in jeopardy.Talpa and ACAWU will back the airline as long as these concerns
are addressed said the union heads.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(ReadyMix) http://www.readymix.co.tt/
(ReadyMix Cement Ltd)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt