KLM pulls flight to SXM

(St. Maarten) Change in KLM itinerary means more seats, says Theo.
PHILIPSBURG
An additional 700 seats, that is not bad, reacted Commissioner of Tourism
Theo Heyliger to the news that KLM will stop its weekly flight December 1
and instead will have passengers transferred twice a day to Bonaire to
connect directly to Amsterdam.
Based on the argument that marketing one flight a week doesn't sell very
well, marketing-wise, and two daily flights to Amsterdam via Bonaire,
Heyliger said he was supporting KLM's decision.

The commissioner explained that a few months ago in a discussion with the
airline's regional manager he had pointed out that one St. Maarten flight
per week wasn't cutting it. "One flight, that is not really anything, and
not a tourism-driving incentive for hotels," he said.

"Of course I would have preferred seven direct St. Maarten-Amsterdam
flights," said Heyliger, adding that flights are being taken away not only
from St. Maarten, but also from Curacao and Aruba.

"Bonaire made immense investments in the airport facilities to become a
hub-function. Even if we invest in Princess Juliana International Airport
here and put a nice big building, we still don't have a long runway. And
that is what KLM wants," he noted.

With the regional service through BonairExel, passengers from St. Maarten
will have the opportunity to fly to Holland twice a day via Bonaire. The
flight to Bonaire will be executed with a jet plane and the turnaround time
will be less than two hours, the Commissioner clarified. "An additional 700
seats per week. That is not bad."

Heyliger said that when KLM's regional manager comes to St. Maarten shortly,
he will discuss time schedules and connections to ensure a minimum hassle
for passengers.