SF Gate: Bombardier cutting almost 2,000 jobs but will meet earnings targets

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/09/27/f=
inancial1256EDT0121.DTL
Friday, September 27, 2002 (AP)
Bombardier cutting almost 2,000 jobs but will meet earnings targets

   (09-27) 13:49 PDT MONTREAL (AP) --
   Bombardier Aerospace said Friday it was cutting almost 2,000 jobs in
Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, but expects to meet its
earnings target for the year.
   The cuts represent about 6.5 percent of its worldwide aerospace work
force.
   The transportation giant, known for producing the Learjet and other
aircraft, said the job cuts would include 1,280 in Canada; 240 in Belfast,
Northern Ireland; 210 in Tucson, Ariz.; 50 in Wichita, Kan.; and 200 in
other locations.
   Bombardier, which employed 31,000 people in its aerospace units worldwide
before the cuts, also announced temporary halts in production of aircraft
in Toronto and Montreal that would affect another 1,600 workers.
   Friday's moves "will enhance Bombardier's financial flexibility in the
context of the uncertainties of this unpredictable economic environment,"
such as a possible war with Iraq and financial trouble at U.S. airlines,
president and chief executive Robert Brown said.
   "There are many events that we can't control, but we're taking action to
ensure that we control our destiny and ensure that financially we're going
to be able to handle events that may occur over the next three or four
months," Brown said in a conference call.
   The company reaffirmed it expects to earn 70 Canadian cents (45 cents) a
share this year. Last year, Bombardier reported earnings of 81 Canadian
cents a share.
   Its parent company, Bombardier Inc., said last month it would miss its
full-year profit target because of a slowdown in the aircraft industry.
   Bombardier stock gained 31 Canadian cents (20 cents) to 4.95 Canadian
dollars ($3.14) Friday on the Toronto exchange. It traded at more than 20
Canadian dollars before the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

=20
Copyright 2002 AP