Re: DB Air

In a message dated 9/24/02 11:38:22 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
damiross2@attbi.com writes:

> Okay, here's my mantra about "old" aircraft.
> The aircraft is x years old - that doesn't mean it ain't
> a good aircraft.  There's a good possibility that there
> isn't a single piece of original equipment on the
> aircraft because of all of the major overhauls done on
> it over the years.
> The aircraft is fully depreciated, allowing it to have
> some financial operating efficiencies that a new
> aircraft doesn't have. In other words, it may use more
> fuel but other operating costs are less and offset the
> fuel costs.

Regardless of all the new avionics and interior you're still looking at a 30
year old airframe.  As far as being fully depreciated, not if you're the
current owner who has sunk several million into the aircraft.  Keep in mind
each time an aircraft changes hands, depreciation starts all over again.
Knowing fuel is the number one cost of any airline and it takes three up
front to fly a B727,  compare the hourly operating cost to an NG.  Aside from
the mechanical side of this debate, I seriously doubt this venture will find
a profitable niche in coast to coast transportation.  But hey, someone thinks
transforming Vanguard into Hooters Air is a worthy cause!

RT Simpson
Phoenix