SF Gate: Large troubled airlines safer bet than small ones

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/09=
/22/TR150948.DTL
Sunday, September 22, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
Large troubled airlines safer bet than small ones
Ed Perkins

   "Should I buy a ticket on an airline that has gone bankrupt -- or one
that's rumored as close to bankruptcy?" I'm asked that question a lot on
call- in shows, for obvious reasons. And, surprisingly enough, my answer
is that, for now, I believe you're reasonably safe buying a ticket on a
bankrupt or shaky big airline -- but not necessarily on a small one.
   Airline bankruptcy isn't idle speculation anymore. US Airways has already
filed for Chapter 11, and the trade press is full of rumors about possible
bankruptcy by United and even American. The big airlines are all
suffering, to one degree or another, and at least one additional Chapter
11 filing before the end of the year is probably more likely than not.
   Dismal as that scenario appears, I have three reasons to believe buying
tickets is still reasonably safe: -- With a giant airline, bankruptcy does
not mean shutdown. After filing, US Airways continued operating with
hardly a blip. Down the line, you can expect some cutbacks in schedules
and routes. But, for the most part, bankruptcy is transparent to
consumers. Flights are operating and frequent flyer mileage is still good.
   That's not to say nothing worse will happen. But the idea is not for the
airline to stop operating, it's for the airline to get out from under
debts it can't repay and to lower costs that it can't cover out of current
revenues. Before US Airways filed, it had lined up post-bankruptcy
financing. Stockholders, bondholders, lessors, suppliers and employees may
suffer, but not travelers. At least not the way the situation looks at the
present time.
   But the story with smaller airlines might be different. Vanguard wasn't
able to arrange any financing, so it had to stop operating -- at least for
a while. I don't know of any other small lines that are in as much
financial trouble as Vanguard was, but that too, can change. -- Even if an
airline stops operating, you can still get to your destination. When an
airline folds, the US Department of Transportation requires that any
airlines still flying honor the failed line's tickets, at least on a
standby basis. At most, the substitute airline can charge you up to $25 to
cover reissue costs. Granted, you can't keep to your original schedule,
but at least you don't lose all your money. -- You can protect your ticket
purchase by using a credit card -- maybe. The papers and airwaves have
been full of pundits advising travelers to use credit cards, but the
chargeback provisions aren't as ironclad as some make it seem.
   In a recent report, Paul Hudson, executive director of the Aviation
Consumer Action Project, noted possible problems: "Major credit cards such
as Visa, MasterCard and American Express will credit your account if the
vendor of the product or service you purchased defaults by failing to
deliver. However, this may not hold when an airline is already in
bankruptcy at the time of purchase. As of this writing, American Express
has advised ACAP that it will not credit holders accounts for defaults on
US Airways tickets, but Visa Bank of America has advised ACAP that it will
credit customer accounts if there is a default on US Airways tickets. You
need to check with your credit card company and try to confirm its policy
in writing before purchasing airline tickets in the present environment of
potential and actual airline bankruptcies."
   Hudson also recommends buying trip-cancellation insurance -- a protection
that can add up to 10 percent more to your ticket but might well be worth
the peace of mind. For his full report or more information on his consumer
roup, visit www.acap1971.org.
   My comments about the three protections represent my best estimates. But
I'm by no means 100 percent certain. If you're extra nervous, avoid shaky
airlines, buy insurance, or both.
   E-mail Ed Perkins at eperkins@mind.net.=20
Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle