Re: America West

In a message dated 9/19/2002 10:58:46 AM Central Standard Time,
gfoley@columbus.rr.com writes:

> It is my impression that the certification of aircraft assumes thrust
> reversers are not used.   That is, the brakes are supposed to take care of
> landing and stopping.  Thrust reversers are only to reduce wear on brakes
> and tires.

That is correct, brakes and spoilers (which increase the effectiveness of the
brakes by "planting" the airplane) are all that are used for certification.
When I did the night freight Learjet thing, most of the airplanes either had
no reversers or they were permanently pinned/deactivated.  Try a heavy and
short landing and you could smell the brakes when you climbed out after
shutdown.  Gerry, you can watch this in action four nights a week at Port
Columbus.

Jim

Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain, ex-StarCheck LR-Jet Captain/FO
Lambert-St. Louis Airport (STL/KSTL), ex Port Columbus (CMH/KCMH), et al.