Re: A non-aviation posting

In a message dated 9/19/2002 6:32:31 PM Central Standard Time,
jim.fulton@talk21.com writes:

> Jim, what are you flying now? Your signature still says J41s. Were they any
> better than Saabs for hot weather?

Well Jim,
       No offense to our readers from the British Isles but the 41 was
designed and built in a rather cool climate.  Summer on the bird is a bit,
ahem, tough.  The white airplanes here in STL are much better than the "Easy
Bake Oven" paintjobs out on the East Coast.  In the MOM IV (Manufacturers
Operating Manual, Volume 4) there is a page in the Air
Conditioning/Pressurization section labeled "Performance," in class we
relabled it "FICTION."  I will say one thing, it warms up well in the winter
once we start the screaming Garrett sisters, we do not have the auxiliary
cabin heaters.
       Takeoff and Landing performance is okay up to about 90F (@32C) then it
starts to get really soggy.  Our 41s are actually 4101s with 1650shp vs. ACA
with 1500shp so we do okay, but we normally temp out pretty quick after
takeoff.

Jim

Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain