Use It or Lose It, Pt III

In a message dated 9/18/02 3:55:31 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
bahadiracuner@yahoo.com writes:

> These slots are hot commodity because DCA provides a lot of high revenue
> traffic. Another airline that was crying for them , AirTran, is silent.
> For now.. .

The National Airlines LAS-DCA authorization is one of those "expanded
perimeter" slots specifically created to serve cities beyond the 1250 mile
limit for non-stop service to DCA...AND to throw a bone to newer carriers.
Right now UAL has a more compelling agrument to use that authorization at LAX
than Cactus to create their second non-stop out of LAS.  As you may recall,
TWA made LAX a "focus city" and had some interesting non-stops out of there
to the right coast and beyond (San Juan)!.  I don't think we've seen the last
of the petitioners for National's authorization and somehow I wouldn't be
surprised to see Mike Conway attempt to get some green for his bankrupt
carrier out of this deal!

RT Simpson
Phoenix