Re: A Piece of History

Many are fond of calling the DC-3 as the greatest airliner ever built.  I certainly won't challenge that claim on the basis of the change it introduced to the industry, and for being the first airliner that could actually turn a profit.  Not to forget, also, that bird's contribution to our victory in  WWII.

But I do challenge anybody to find a DC-3 that lasted in front-line airline service, with the same national flag carrier or major airline, for 35 years.

It seems to me that this accomplishment very much makes the DC-9 worthy of gracing a museum's collection.

I've spent many an hour on those old Nines, from my first flight on one in 1969 (this dates me:  on that same trip I also flew on a Vickers Viscount), to my last which probably would have been in 2000 (I wish I had kept a log).

The extended forecast for Saturday does not look to promising, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mike Gammon