U.S. Air Traffic Ban, Sept. 11-12, 2001

I have seen no discussion of the wisdom of the decision to ban air traffic
over the U.S. for a protracted period following the attacks of 9/11.

At first sight it seems sensible.  No aircraft in the air, no aircraft
making suicide attacks.  On the other hand, it was very quickly recognized
that three of the flights (not the one out of Dulles to the Pentagon) were
way off course before they hit the targets.  Presumably air to ground
communication was taken to be sufficient assurance that when practically all
aircraft were off course, finding the nearest airport, none of them was
being hijacked.

The Dulles exception may be the key to the decision, although it would seem
as if tightened security, which was in fact assumed to make the resumption
of flights permissible after September 12, might have been implemented
earlier.

The slow decision to resume flights was somewhat analogous to the widespread
public decision not to fly at all.

These thoughts came to me when I was out walking, and recalling the silence
of 9/12.

Was UAL flight 93 on time, and this the only (slight) miscalculation of the
terrorists?

What to do, what to do?

Gerry
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley