Air Jamaica ?still counting losses?

Air Jamaica =91still counting losses=92
Nation News - Monday 16, September-2002

FOLLOWING the events of September 11, 2001, Air Jamaica sustained losses of=
=20
approximately US$70 million and may need financial assistance to remain=20
competitive.  Speaking at a briefing to update the media on the state of=20
Air Jamaica since the September 11, 2001 attacks on both the Pentagon and=20
the World Trade Centre, Air Jamaica's deputy chairman, Christopher Zacca=20
said: =93A year on from the events we estimate that during that period we=20
have lost US$70 million. It has also cost us an additional US$6 million in=
=20
insurance and US$25 million in security. We will now be requiring bridge=20
financing but as yet haven=92t placed a figure on that sum.  =93If the=
 disaster=20
of September 11 last year did not occur, Air Jamaica would have broken even=
=20
this year.=94  Air Jamaica=92s chairman, Gordon =93Butch=94 Stewart said the=
=20
airline may well need government assistance but that it had not yet sought=
=20
that route choosing instead to fight on. He said the question of whether=20
Air Jamaica should go public and thereby raise adequate funds to address=20
its plight, though mooted, was not feasible at this point in time.
=93We need to ensure that our balance sheet is healthy and that we are able=
=20
to pay a dividend before we can even consider that possibility and we are=20
some way from that.=94

The airline industry has never been through a period of 12 months with so=20
many changes and it all cost money. For example we now are required to have=
=20
security doors on the pilot=92s flight cockpit fitted on all our aircrafts=
 by=20
April of next year. That will cost us US$60 000 per door. In the meantime=20
we will have all the cockpit doors bolted.=94 Stewart went on to say that=20
after the attacks on September 11, 2001 no aircraft flew into the United=20
States for five days which proved most costly for operators in the=20
business. He said that Air Jamaica was the first international airline to=20
put wheels down in Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports.  =93I think the=20
[Jamaica] government has been an excellent partner of Air Jamaica. Both the=
=20
government and the Opposition party have been right behind us and we are=20
very grateful. The exchange rate would have collapsed and may well be=20
JAM$100 to US$1 today if Air Jamaica was allowed to go under.=94  Since=20
September 11 last year many airlines have cut back on their capacity by as=
=20
much as 50 per cent. Air Jamaica choose to move forward and cut back by=20
just 14 per cent initially but by December it was back to full capacity.

While other airlines have suffered tremendously as a result of the=20
terrorist attacks as it currently stands Air Jamaica accounts for 63 per=20
cent of all the people who fly out of the United States to Jamaica. It also=
=20
accounts for 61 per cent of all traffic coming out of the United Kingdom=20
and that is for both schedule and chartered carriers.  =93There isn=92t an=
=20
international carrier that didn=92t get taken to the cleaners after=20
9/11/2001. US Air declared bankruptcy and United Airlines is insinuating=20
that it to may have to declare bankruptcy and the list goes on and on. We=20
have not laid off staff in fact we are seeking to improve our service,=94=20
said Stewart.

=95 Adapted from the Jamaica Gleaner.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(ReadyMix) http://www.readymix.co.tt/
(ReadyMix Cement Ltd)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt