From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
Roger & Amanda La France
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 6:47 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: EgyptAir 990

     EgyptAir's last deadly crash was in 1976, when one of its 707s
crashed during approach to the airport in Bangkok, killing 73 people on
board and on the ground.
     The airline also dealt with a deadly disaster in November 1985,
when one of its 737s was hijacked to Malta. Egyptian troops stormed the
aircraft after several hours of negotiations. The hijackers tossed
grenades, and ensuing explosions and fire badly damaged the aircraft,
killing 58 of its 90 passengers and two of its six crew members.
     The only major EgyptAir incident in this decade happened in 1996,
when an EgyptAir plane skidded onto a road and hit a taxi while landing
in Istanbul. Nineteen people on board the plane were hurt. EgyptAir
blamed Turkish airport authorities for asking the plane to land on a
short, sloping runway.