Article from bizjournals.com: UPS, FedEx in air war with DHL

Hello from bizjournals.com! David Mueller (davidm@smail.info) thought you
might like the following article from the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/travel/airlines_airports/2002/09/02/atlanta_story2.html

UPS, FedEx in air war with DHL
Who owns DHL?

Jim Lovel  Staff Writer
   The nation's two largest package carriers are trying to keep the world's
   largest package carrier out of the country.

   United Parcel Service Inc. and FedEx Corp. filed separate petitions in
   August asking the U.S. Department of Transportation to review the
   ownership of DHL Airways. They suspect that DHL Airways Inc. is
   violating a federal law that restricts to 25 percent the foreign
   ownership of airlines operating within the United States.

   The companies believe that DHL Airways is owned and controlled by
   Deutsche Post, the German postal monopoly that is 70 percent owned by
   the German government, but the ownership is disguised in a complex
   arrangement of subsidiaries.

   "We are talking about the government of Germany competing against
   private individuals in the United States," said Norman Black, a
   spokesman for UPS. "Nothing more. Nothing less."

   UPS (NYSE: UPS) of Atlanta and FedEx (NYSE: FDX) of Memphis, Tenn., fear
   that Deutsche Post will subsidize DHL Airways, allowing the airline to
   carry freight at rates lower than either UPS or FedEx can match, as part
   of a strategy to claim a share of the U.S. market.

   "All we want is a level playing field," said Sally Davenport, a
   spokesperson for FedEx.

 Protecting market share

   It's the second time in less than two years that the two companies have
   contested the right of DHL Airways to operate in the country. They filed
   petitions in January 2001 questioning the foreign ownership of DHL but
   the federal agency dismissed the petitions that May and issued DHL a
   certificate to operate.

   The three companies are competing for control of the global package
   delivery industry. DHL already is the largest carrier in the world but
   it has to claim a share of the U.S. market to continue competing with
   the global expansion of UPS and FedEx, said George Hamlin, a senior vice
   president at Global Aviation Associates Ltd. of Washington, a commercial
   airlines consulting firm.

   "UPS and FedEx want to make sure they aren't competing with their arms
   tied behind their backs," Hamlin said. "They want to be able to protect
   their marketplace."

   DHL Airways denies that its ownership violates federal law and plans to
   respond to DOT by Sept. 6.

   "We aren't surprised by the filings but we are confident in our
   citizenship status," said Joanne Smith, vice president of marketing for
   DHL Airways in Chicago. "This isn't the first time they have made an
   issue of this and we don't expect it will be the last."

   Locally, DHL carried 2,913 metric tons of freight through Hartsfield
   Atlanta International Airport, less than 1 percent of the airport's
   total freight volume through the first six months of this year. FedEx
   carried 65,048 metric tons, or about 21 percent, and UPS carried 15,189
   metric tons, about 5 percent, during the same period.

   UPS and FedEx say they are suspicious of DHL's ownership because of
   inconsistencies they have found in DHL's filings with different
   government agencies and statements company executives have made to the
   press.

   "Untangling the confusion and contradiction surrounding DHL Airways'
   ownership and control — whether or not that complexity is intended by
   DHL Airways to obfuscate its true ownership structure — is not a simple
   task," UPS wrote in its petition.

 Determining Deutsche Post's role

   According to the UPS filing, DHL Airways is either partially or wholly
   owned by DHL Holdings Inc., which provides about 99 percent of DHL
   Airways' business and pays for the company's fuel, landing fees, service
   expenses and the cost of loading and unloading the planes. The amount of
   ownership varies among the documents the company has filed with federal
   agencies from 45 percent to 100 percent.

   DHL Holdings is a wholly-owned subsidiary of DHL International of
   Brussels. Deutsche Post owns 75 percent of DHL International and has
   announced plans to acquire 100 percent of the company, UPS claims in the
   filing.

   "If Deutsche Post wholly owns DHL Airways' ultimate parent and if the
   Deutsche Post can 'cover' DHL Airways' losses in the U.S. with its
   profits, does that not put the Deutsche Post in control of DHL Airways?"
   the filing asks.

   Smith defines DHL Airways' ownership by control of the company's voting
   stock. DHL Holdings Inc., a U.S. company owned by Deutsche Post,
   controls 25 percent of the voting stock in DHL Airways, the maximum
   allowed by federal law. The remaining 75 percent is controlled by equity
   shareholders who are U.S. citizens, Smith said.

   "We have already been deemed a U.S. citizen by DOT," she said. "Nothing
   has changed since that ruling."

   Smith called the allegations by UPS and FedEx "unsubstantiated" and
   "misstatements."

   "We find their filings are completely without merit," she said.

   DHL Airways is confident enough in its citizenship status to build a
   $200 million expansion of its U.S. hub at the Greater
   Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in Cincinnati. The
   expansion is scheduled to open next July and will almost double the
   company's package processing capacity to 2.5 million pounds a day.

   The construction is being paid for by DHL Worldwide Express Inc.,
   another subsidiary of DHL International, and will be the largest hub in
   the company's global network.

   "The U.S. is key to our global strategy," Smith said.

   Despite almost simultaneous petitions from UPS and FedEx, the companies
   are rivals and aren't working together to stop DHL's expansion,
   spokespersons for both companies claim.

   "You have two very concerned American companies," UPS's Black said. "It
   doesn't mean we are cooperating with each other."

   DHL has accused both companies of trying to stop competition.

   Black called that accusation "ludicrous and laughable."

   "We are not afraid of competition," he said. "We didn't get where we are
   today by being afraid of competition."

   The concerns of UPS and FedEx are supported by previous actions of
   Deutsche Post, Black said. In June 2001, the European Commission found
   Deutsche Post guilty of using profits from its postal monopoly to
   subsidize its parcel delivery service in Germany and fined the company
   572 million euros ($561.1 million) plus interest that pushed the total
   to near 800 million euros ($784.8 million). Three months earlier, the
   commission had fined Deutsche Post 24 million euros ($23.5 million) for
   selling its package delivery service at a loss.

   "If they are doing this in Europe, why are we to believe they won't do
   it here?" Black said. "We think there are some very serious issues
   here."

Copyright(c) American City Business Journals Inc.  All rights reserved.

You can view this article on the web at:
http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/travel/airlines_airports/2002/09/02/atlanta_story2.html