Flight attendants group warns of mini-strikes at Midwest Express

Flight attendants group warns of mini-strikes at Midwest Express
By Dan Reed, USA TODAY

If negotiations with Midwest Express Airlines fail to produce a first-ever=
=20
contract for the carrier's 450 flight attendants by 12:01 a.m. ET Friday =97=
=20
and both sides say publicly that the odds are against it =97 flight=20
attendants leaders are promising "CHAOS."
That's an acronym =97 it stands for "Creating Havoc Around Our System" =97=
 for=20
the kind of intermittent mini-strikes that attendants at Alaska Airlines=20
used a decade ago to disrupt that carrier's operations and win a deal they=
=20
were seeking. Now, the Association of Flight Attendants at Midwest Express=
=20
are committed to the same tactic if a deal isn't reached tonight, spokesman=
=20
Jeff Zack says. "It's the way flight attendants have the most leverage in a=
=20
negotiations," he says. "Our flight attendants continue to work. The=20
company can't replace us, and they have to continue to pay us." In a CHAOS=
=20
job action, attendants walk off only a few, targeted flights just before=20
they're to leave their gates. That results in long delays while replacement=
=20
attendants are located, or cancellations. The disruption ripples through=20
the carrier's system, and passengers' lives.

Carol Skornicka, Midwest Express' general counsel, said managers trained as=
=20
replacements are being put into place to step in. Also, arrangements have=20
been made for other carriers to carry any passengers Midwest Express can't=
=20
accommodate.
AFA leaders complain that Midwest Express' attendants are among the=20
lowest-paid around, topping out at $36,000 after 16 years on the job. But=20
management of the Milwaukee-based carrier known for high-end service at=20
moderate prices, counters that attendants at the USA's 22nd-largest airline=
=20
already are the 12th highest paid. Skornicka says the company can't afford=
=20
much more, but won't discuss details of the company's offer. "We're not=20
immune from the assault on the industry caused by the economy and Sept.=20
11," she says. "We're losing money and struggling like the others. We're=20
just not able to give the attendants what they're demanding." Zack says if=
=20
the attendants were to get everything they seek, Midwest Express' operating=
=20
expenses would rise 0.3%, or about $1.5 million, in the first year of the=20
deal. "To accept the potential for a 10% to 20% loss of revenue (rather=20
than accept) an operating cost increase of three-tenths of 1% doesn't seem=
=20
fiscally responsible to me," he says.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(MBH) http://maracasbay.com/
(Maracas Bay Hotel)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt