Re: AmWest Incident At Sky Harbor

In a message dated 8/29/02 9:57:27 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
DZTOPS@aol.com writes:

> Our (Tucson AZ) late news last night seemed to 'blame the pilot'--landed to
> fast and ran out of room to stop etc etc--anyone hear anything?

Usual Monday morning quarterbacking where everyone is an expert.  I've heard
the pilot made an abupt turn off the runway and collapsed the main gear...the
thrust reversers didn't engage...Martha Stewart was shorting AmWest
shares..etc.

The NTSB finished its on site inspection of the damaged A320 and it was moved
to the nearby Cactus maintenance base.  I suspect we'll hear the "official"
explanation of what happened very soon.  The good news continues to be there
were no major injuries to the 159 people aboard - which is a miracle as the
rear inflatable slide did not come in contact with the ground because the
tail was so high in the air!  Those passengers dropped almost vertically to
the ground.

RT Simpson
Phoenix