UA Gold Star Alliance

Wondering what all you guys on the AIRLINE list have to say about this
little scenario I recently encountered on United recently

During June / July I had the opportunity to travel 2 return trips from
Australia to the USA on United. I am a United Gold Star Alliance member
(Having changed to United after a certain Kiwi airline completely screwed
our own ANSETT into the ground). Those who know something about Star
Alliance will know that Gold Star Alliance level (like other programs eg one
world) means that you are given access to Lounges all over the world when
travelling on a star alliance carrier.

So here I go into the Red Carpet Club (RCC) in Chicago with Gold UA card and
boarding pass in hand only to be told that as I was not travelling
internationally the same day, I could not come in. Aparently in their rules
they have decided to add the little condition that you must be travelling on
an international sector the same day. This same situation was repeated in
San Francisco, Denver, Houston, and Dallas (after that I had well and truely
given up) over the 2 month period.

So I say to the young girl (who had just snapped at us - I was travelling
with a friend who is also Gold Star on UA), so what if I had an NZ or SQ
Gold Star Card. "Well that would be OK then - just not UA".....!! She said.
"I could by a RCC membership if I wanted though" She added.  Yeah Right!!

So I am left standing there thinking - what I fool am I for joining UA's
frequent flyer program. If I want better access to RCC's then I should have
joined SQ or even BMI for that matter???

My question is ... Is it just me or does this sound particularly crazy ??
How are United going to win back people who travel on full fare business
class round the world tickets when they treat us like that!!!

David
(MEL)