Epilepsy may have caused air rage

LAURIE BAILEY
Canadian Press
Monday, July 29, 2002

WINNIPEG (CP) - Charges stemming from what appeared to be a case of air
rage are expected to be dropped this week against a Swiss man who was
actually having an epileptic seizure, his lawyer said Monday. Ernie
Schenkel, 60, has languished in a Winnipeg jail for weeks, but will likely
fly home to Switzerland after being put on medication, said defence lawyer
Greg Hawrysh. "We're hoping to get him out on Friday," said Hawrysh, who
has arranged for a paramedic to escort Schenkel. "We're making all the
arrangements with the Swiss government, who are picking up the costs of his
flight and the cost of the escort." Hawrysh said the Swiss government
agreed to pay for Schenkel's fare as long as he remains on medication and
is accompanied by a paramedic with a security background.

Schenkel was arrested last May after an Air Canada Boeing 767 flight from
Toronto to Vancouver made an unscheduled stop in Winnipeg. Police said at
the time a passenger on that flight became enraged and assaulted a flight
attendant. Hawrysh said Schenkel is an untreated epileptic and could not be
held legally responsible. "We've got medical reports that justify our
position which was that he was not fit at the time of the offence," he
said. Schenkel was diagnosed years ago, but wasn't taking medication. "Now
we've got him on his medication." Schenkel, who once worked as an engineer
and was a notable long-distance runner, was shuttled between his jail cell
to a hospital to receive treatment. He is a dual citizen of Canada and
Switzerland and now resides in Dubendorf. He has a former wife and two
children in British Columbia.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT Medical Assn.) http://www.tntmedical.com/
(Trinidad & Tobago Medical Association)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt