BWIA plans for $ rebound

By Nadine Hosein and Sherry Ann Singh
T'dad Guardian

BWIA CEO Conrad Aleong said last night the airline was in the middle of a
number-crunching exercise to determine how best to deal with its
deteriorating financial position. Speaking on the heels of the airline
declaring a US$8.4 million loss, Aleong would not rule out further staff
cuts, or route reduction. "The only thing I can say right now is we're
looking at everything. Nothing is sacred but nothing is planned either," he
said in a telephone interview. Aleong said the airline would be focusing on
how best it could conserve cash between now and the end of the year and
would be in a better position to say how it planned to deal with its woes
by next week. "This is a delicate time for BWee financially, but we have
plans for an economic rebound," the CEO said earlier. He was speaking at
the scheduled inaugural flight to Manchester, England. BW990 left yesterday
at 4.30 pm. On board were Minister of Trade and Industry Ken Valley, and
director of corporate communications for BWIA Clint Williams.

Aleong said while the US$8.4 million loss in the first six months of the
year may be seen as bad for the airline, the important thing is the profits
BWIA made for the last three consecutive years. The airline is embarking on
plans to enter the leisure market and the Manchester flight is the first
step towards this goal, said Aleong.  This move by BWIA will strengthen the
financial foothold of the company, said Valley, and place the airline in
the international aviation market. This, said the Minister, was a key move
for Trinidad. "Overall, our basic objective is to establish T&T as a major
manufacturing platform; a transhipment hub and financial centre for the
region," said Valley. Also at the opening ceremony was Works and Transport
Minister Arnold Piggot.  Last Wednesday, BWIA cancelled flight BW484, which
was scheduled to depart from Port-of-Spain at 9.05 am. Williams said the
problem was due to an unfortunate circumstance where two pilots who act as
reserves for each other called in sick.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Queen's Hall) http://queenshall.org/
(Queen'sHall)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt