Re: are unaccompanied minors still allowed to fly?

Bill & folks,
  As I grumbled here a few weeks ago, the airline will allow one parent
through, provided the parent has proper ID.  We lucked out in knowing the
UAL ticket counter agent from my former life as a hostie; she graciously
wrote a gate pass for 2 parents.  Upon my daughter's return, one and only
one parent was given a pass to go to the gate to meet the flt.

  No one asked for proof of ID for my daughter.  I had her birth
certificate with me, just in case, but I don't see how that would have
proven much of anything.  (The security guard did chuckle that we looked
so much alike we could share my photo ID!)

  The day my daughter returned I saw two families dealing with the
one-parent-to-the-gate rule.  In both cases the children were younger,
maybe 7 or 8, and each child was distraught at having to leave a parent
behind.  It's nervewracking enough when your child flies alone; this is an
added stress that has no value.  Are there really THAT many UM's flying,
that the gate area would be clogged with TWO parents each waving bye-bye?
I don't think so.

  Bill, remember to check the airline's policy re: connections.
United's website spells out minimum age for travelling alone, making
connections, etc.

-Mo