Passenger says he just wanted to know if crew was sober
By Claire Osborn

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, July 16, 2002

One question to a flight crew, and their summer vacation
was ruined, members of an Austin-area family said.

While on their way to go fishing in Canada, Hans von
Schweinitz and his family were told to leave an America
West flight after he asked whether the pilots had taken
a sobriety test.

He said he posed the question to a flight attendant
while boarding the plane July 6 in Phoenix because he
was concerned that two America West pilots in Miami
previously had been charged with operating an aircraft
while intoxicated.

The pilots agreed to take a blood alcohol test, but
afterward they told von Schweinitz to get off the plane.

Von Schweinitz, 68, a German immigrant, said being
kicked off the plane reminded him of living in Germany
during World War II.

"It sent cold chills down my back," he said. "My family
opposed Hitler, but if you asked the wrong questions,
you took your life in your hands, because the SS and
Gestapo had complete power."

America West is reviewing the incident, said Janet
Monahan, a spokeswoman for the airline. Airplane crews
can ask passengers to leave a flight if they cause a
disruption or pose a threat, Monahan said.

"What we need to determine was: Were there concerns
along those lines?" she said.

Von Schweinitz, retired from the U.S. Air Force, was
flying to Seattle with his 37-year-old son, Christopher
von Schweinitz, and his 9-year-old grandson, Matt von
Schweinitz.

They were boarding Flight 79 at 7:30 a.m. in Phoenix
when the elder von Schweinitz asked about the sobriety
test. After they took their seats, a flight attendant
told them the pilots would take the test, said
Christopher von Schweinitz.

Then the flight crew announced that the plane's
departure would be delayed because a passenger had asked
if the pilot had taken a blood alcohol test.

The delay lasted 2 1/2 hours while the crew waited for a
blood alcohol test to be brought to the airport.

"The passengers were upset, and what was a little
disconcerting was that we could hear someone talking on
a cell phone and saying, `Some idiot asked this
question,' " Christopher von Schweinitz said.

Finally a pilot announced that the crew had passed the
sobriety test.

"He said parents should teach their children that there
are consequences to asking questions and that the
passenger who asked the question was going to be taken
off the plane," Christopher von Schweinitz said.

A security guard escorted the von Schweinitz family off
the plane. The airline put the family on the next flight
to Seattle.

"People cheered, and that was embarrassing and
humiliating," Christopher von Schweinitz said.

"The guy said he could put us on the next America West
flight, but we had to give our word that we wouldn't ask
questions like that again, and we said that we
wouldn't."

The von Schweinitzes have returned to the Austin area
from their fishing vacation. They immediately took their
story to the tabloid TV show "Inside Edition." It aired
Monday.

They have not heard from the airline, but Hans von
Schweinitz says an apology wouldn't satisfy him. He says
his vacation and his fishing were ruined.

"I have learned that an apology does not solve the
problem," he said. "It is up to the airline to find a
way to correct it so that two pilots don't fly together
drunk."

America West Airlines has had reports of more than 100
sobriety comments made by passengers since two pilots
were accused of preparing to fly a passenger jet while
drunk in Florida two weeks ago. Both pilots lost their
licenses.

"Consistent with our commitment to safety, we need to
take these comments seriously," the airline said in a
statement. "Most have been handled professionally.
However, unfortunately in a few cases, we have
overreacted."

cosborn@statesman.com; 445-3630

--
David Ross