SF Gate: El Al stands alone/Experts doubt U.S. airlines can or should emulate Israeli carrier's security standards

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/07=
/13/BU82734.DTL
Saturday, July 13, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
El Al stands alone/Experts doubt U.S. airlines can or should emulate Israel=
i carrier's security standards
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Armed guards at El Al Israel Airlines were praised for their bold respon=
se
in the Fourth of July shootings at Los Angeles International Airport, when
they wrestled a gun-wielding man to the floor and shot him dead after he
killed two innocent people. Their prompt action probably stopped him from
killing more people.
   The shootout has renewed questions about the need for increased security
at U.S. airports.
   However, it is extremely doubtful whether any U.S. airline can emulate t=
he
pervasive security measures developed by El Al, a small, government-run
flag carrier in a nation long besieged by enemies.
   Although El Al passengers have been attacked in airports (notably in
Europe in the 1980s), no El Al aircraft has been hijacked since 1968, and
the Israeli carrier is widely regarded as having the best airline security
in the world.
   By contrast, in the United States, ground security is left to airports a=
nd
a welter of overlapping local, state and federal law enforcement agencies
to sort out.
   "We are not charged with security anymore, except for what happens at the
gate," said Chris Brathwaite, a spokesman for United Airlines, which
handles half of all passengers and flights at San Francisco International
Airport. United, he said, does not employ El Al-style armed guards.
   United has proposed arming its pilots with Taser stun guns, and the House
of Representatives on Thursday passed a bill that would authorize some
pilots to pack firearms in the cockpit of commercial jetliners.
   El Al does not arm its pilots, but it does put up to five armed sky
marshals on every flight, according to published reports. (El Al
representatives could not be reached for comment for this story.)
   Brathwaite said United works closely on a wide range of issues with the
Transportation Security Administration, created after the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks.
   The agency is charged with overseeing the conversion of most baggage
screeners from private employees hired by the airlines to federal
employees. It also is coordinating a security transition from the National
Guard to local and state law enforcement patrols in passenger terminals.
   "We're not going to go into airports like LAX and SFO like a bull in a
china shop and say, 'Here we are,' " said agency spokesman Leonardo
Alcivar. "We do have oversight authority for airports. We work with local
and state law enforcement personnel, like the SFPD in San Francisco, as
they deploy their personnel."
   On July 6, two days after the LAX shooting, the security administration
said it would send its own armed guards into passenger terminals. Alcivar
later ascribed the announcement to other confused agency spokesmen and
emphasized the agency has no such plans.
   El Al is the only airline that employs its own armed guards in U.S.
airports, Alcivar said. No U.S. carrier, he said, has told the security
administration it wants to post armed guards because of the July 4
killings.
   In any case, aviation experts say having armed guards is just one of many
things that sets El Al apart.
   U.S.-based carriers spend just 0.5 percent of their annual budgets on
security, according to the Air Transport Association. Published reports
put El Al's security expenditures at 8 percent of its budget, or 16 times
higher than the U.S. industry average.
   That buys a lot of security, such as armed sky marshals on every flight,
hand inspection of every checked suitcase and carry-on bag,
steel-reinforced cockpit doors on all El Al aircraft and preboarding
interviews of every passenger that can last for hours.
   Then there is the difference in scale.
   David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association, said El Al's
small size and the compactness of Israel are security assets.
   "They have one major commercial airport over there. We have 429 airports
over here," Stempler said. "El Al carries 2 million passengers a year. We
have that many in a day."
   Michael Boyd, an aviation industry consultant in Evergreen, Colo., said =
El
Al is in a security league of its own and will probably stay there. The
painstaking and intrusive passenger screening that El Al does as a matter
of course just wouldn't fly here.
   "El Al is a unique case," Boyd said, pointing out that the Israeli airli=
ne
routinely uses ethnicity and religion as key features of its passenger
profiling.
   That would run afoul of American civil liberties. But while the United
States may not want to clone El Al's profiling system, U.S. airlines can
and should fine-tune their passenger screening, said the Air Travelers
Association's David Stempler.
   Stempler supports a trusted traveler identity card for frequent fliers a=
nd
for airport and airline employees who have been thoroughly vetted and
determined to be trustworthy nonterrorists.
   "It would be reverse profiling," he said. "It would mean these people are
OK; we don't need to worry about them. Then we can concentrate our
resources on people who are a threat, wherever they are in the airport."
   E-mail David Armstrong at david armstrong@sfchronicle.com.=20
Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle