SF Gate: TWO CENTS/What do you think of Southwest Airlines' seat policy for larger passengers?

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2002/07=
/12/NB196543.DTL
Friday, July 12, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
TWO CENTS/What do you think of Southwest Airlines' seat policy for larger p=
assengers?
<A HREF=3D"mailto:chronfeedback@sfchronicle.com";></A>

   Sandra Brandenburg
   Santa Rosa
   Planes that once sat four across now seat five or six. The airlines did
that. Should tall people pay more for leg room? Pregnant women because
people in front can't lay back? Absurd.

George R. Quarles
   Forestville
   You can only bring so much luggage on a plane without paying extra, since
weight is important to plane capacity. So, yes they should pay more or
lose weight.

Marina Michaels
   Santa Rosa
   Fat people are one of the last "acceptable" targets for prejudice. And
airlines have been shrinking their seats to increase profits for decades.
The problem isn't the fat person; it is the airlines' policies and
society's prejudices. So no, fat people shouldn't have to pay for two
seats.

Irene Lucia
   Mill Valley
   I've had the experience of being crushed in my already narrow seat by an
obese passenger, and think they should be required to purchase two seats.
It seems cruel punishment both psychologically and financially, but the
comfort of other passengers should not be compromised. Plane seats are
confining enough without having another passenger take up half of what
you've paid for.

Gary Huygen
   Petaluma
   I am 6-foot-8 and weigh 340 lbs =D1 call me fat and I will knock your bl=
ock
off -- the airlines made the seats tiny to pull this scam.
   Two Cents is a pool of Chronicle readers we tap for anecdotes and
commentary. For information on joining, e-mail us at
twocents@sfchronicle.com.=20
Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle