Boxer Rebellion

Boxer signs on to armed-pilot bill
Anti-gun senator prefers firearms in cockpits to fighters downing planes

By Jon Dougherty
=C2=A9 2002 WorldNetDaily.com A well-known anti-gun senator has agreed to su=
pport=20
legislation that would allow airline pilots to fly armed because, she says,=20
it is better than ordering planes destroyed by U.S. fighter jets in the even=
t=20
of a hijacking.=20
Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.   =20

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said at a press conference in Washington today=
=20
that she is lending her support to legislation sponsored by Sen. Bob Smith,=20
R-N.H., that would, essentially, bypass a decision made earlier by=20
Transportation Security Administration Director John Magaw not to allow guns=
=20
on the flight deck. "I think this is the first time I have ever stood with=20
Sen. Smith on an issue that has involved guns," Boxer said in announcing her=
=20
decision. "However, I have decided that until I am satisfied with the number=
=20
of air marshals on commercial flights, this bill is a necessity =E2=80=93 in=
deed, it=20
is a matter of life and death."=20

Boxer said a primary reason why she decided to support Smith's bill was=20
because "if a plane is considered under the control of hijackers, it will be=
=20
shot down by our military." The Bush administration adopted a policy after=20
the Sept. 11 attacks =E2=80=93 in which three hijacked airliners were flown=20=
into the=20
World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon =E2=80=93 calling for shooting do=
wn=20
commandeered airliners using fighter jets. "Imagine how the survivors of all=
=20
those passengers and crew will feel if we failed to allow pilots to have gun=
s=20
to defend the plane and a American flight was brought down by the American=20
military," she said. "I know how it would make me feel as a United States=20
senator, and it would be a heart break I would carry for the rest of my=20
life."=20
   =20