NYTimes.com Article: Southwest, Without the Stunts

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Southwest, Without the Stunts

July 7, 2002
By MICHELINE MAYNARD

The best advice that the chief executive of Southwest
Airlines, James F. Parker, says he ever received was that
he could catch more flies with honey than vinegar. These
days, Mr. Parker may need an entire beehive.

A year into his job, Mr. Parker faces labor disputes that
have ruffled the airline's reputation as a friendly
employer. Last week, pilots began voting on a contract
offer that union leaders call too stingy. Mechanics have
asked a federal mediator to help settle a contract battle
that has lasted two years. Ground workers have sued the
airline over its use of government screening data to
discipline employees. Flight attendants and reservations
agents want new contracts.

The labor problems didn't keep Mr. Parker, 55, from
attending the airline's annual employee awards banquet on
June 29 in Dallas. It was the first time that he had held
the center seat at the event as chief executive - a
position filled flamboyantly for almost 20 years by his
predecessor, Herbert D. Kelleher. And conflicts or no, Mr.
Parker received a standing ovation from the 2,300 guests,
which perhaps symbolizes management's view of its relations
with employees.

Mr. Parker, who had been Southwest's general counsel,
refuses to acknowledge turbulence between management and
labor. "I think we have a superb relationship," he said in
a telephone interview last week from the company's
headquarters in Dallas. "There's really nothing more
important that we do than have a relationship with our
employees."

Union leaders are not so conciliatory. Jonathan Weaks,
president of the Southwest Airline Pilots Association, said
Mr. Parker should delegate the task of labor negotiations.

If he doesn't, Mr. Weaks said, Southwest risks losing the
level of communication between management and employees
that has set it apart from major carriers like American,
Delta and United, which have been racked with labor
problems. "We don't want to be just another airline," Mr.
Weaks said.

Mr. Parker said he believed Southwest would stay unique.
"We practice the golden rule," he said. "We work hard at
maintaining a highly ethical, straightforward business."

But Mr. Parker is no pushover, as Mr. Weaks discovered in
June. Unhappy with Southwest's final contract offer of a 35
percent raise over four years, he pressed Mr. Parker for
more. Mr. Parker refused. "I think this is one place where
the company made a mistake," Mr. Weaks said.

Mr. Parker called the offer the best Southwest could make.
But even if pilots vote down the offer, Mr. Parker is not
likely to complain. On his desk is a sign that reads, "No
Whining" - and it really is the way he operates, said
Deborah Ackerman, who succeeded Mr. Parker as general
counsel. "Jim never lets his ego get in the way of what is
going on," Ms. Ackerman said.

Mr. Parker, a former assistant attorney general in Texas,
was born in San Antonio and received his undergraduate and
graduate degrees at the University of Texas. Outwardly, at
least, he is modest and easy-going. Workplace colleagues
say he brews the office coffee in the morning, makes his
own photocopies, wears khakis and golf shirts to work and,
like Mr. Kelleher, shares a liking for Wild Turkey bourbon.

Mr. Kelleher first got to know him in 1977. They met in a
Texas courtroom, where they represented clients involved in
a suit over investments by the University of Houston.

Mr. Kelleher persuaded Mr. Parker to join his San Antonio
law firm, and in 1986 to come to Southwest, where Mr.
Kelleher was known as a chief executive for whom no stunt
was too silly. He once donned an Elvis suit and rode a
motorcycle to promote the airline, acts that Mr. Parker is
not likely to emulate.

About as far as he will go is gentle joshing, like his
teasing suggestion at an analysts' meeting in New York that
he planned to transform Southwest's profitable
point-to-point system of short flights into a complex
hub-and-spoke operation like those at the bigger,
money-losing airlines.

Simply put, "Jim is just not as zany as Herb," said Betsy
Snyder, a transportation analyst at Standard & Poor's, the
ratings agency in New York, who has met with both men.

Just how Mr. Parker will lead Southwest is still in
question. "I don't think he has made his mark yet," Ms.
Snyder said.

Mr. Weaks says he is sympathetic to Mr. Parker's burden in
following Mr. Kelleher, who has taken on responsibility for
Southwest's Washington affairs. "Jim's the guy that
replaced God - or Tom Landry," said Mr. Weaks, referring to
the revered coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Still, Mr. Parker, who has been married for 31 years and
has a grown son and daughter, isn't one to shirk risk. Soon
after he joined Mr. Kelleher's law firm, Mr. Kelleher asked
him to study whether Southwest should join with other
airlines in a common reservation system. Mr. Parker thought
Southwest, thriving with low fares and no-frills service,
would be better off on its own. The decision stays in place
as one of Southwest's hallmarks.

Ms. Snyder and other analysts give Mr. Parker credit for
the airline's steadiness after the Sept. 11 attacks.
Despite falling sales, the airline proceeded with a
profit-sharing payment that fell due days afterward, and it
did not reduce flights or lay off pilots or other employees
even as competitors were cutting back.

In the months since, bigger airlines have tried to attract
passengers by offering the kind of low fares that Southwest
has long claimed as its calling card.

But Southwest has kept its customers and continues to
expand; it now serves 114 cities. And while competitors
have suffered hundreds of millions in losses, Southwest has
continued to make money, albeit less than before. For 2001,
Southwest earned $511.1 million, down from $625.2 million
in 2000. For the first quarter of 2002, it earned $21.4
million, versus $121 million in the period a year earlier.

The labor issues at Southwest that are testing Mr.
Parker's leadership don't seem to be worrying the travel
industry, where the airline is still viewed as strong and
stable. "He's right. You've got to fight these things,"
said Michael Schlott, owner and president of International
Tours in Atlanta. "Otherwise prices go up, and you're in
the same position as everyone else."

For his part, Mr. Parker said he thought that union
officials had the company's best interests at heart. "Even
when we disagree," he said, "I can look across the table
and see no one who wants to injure this airline."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/business/yourmoney/07PROF.html?ex=1027058655&ei=1&en=5a3c02c3deaaa036

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company