John Travolta becomes Qantas Ambassador-at-Large

      John Travolta becomes Qantas Ambassador-at-Large
      Los Angeles, 25 June 2002 :=20
    =20
      Australian-based international airline Qantas today announced that =
international superstar John Travolta has joined the company and has =
become its "Ambassador-at-Large".

      Qantas also announced that following extensive sessions at its =
Sydney headquarters and with Boeing in Seattle, Mr Travolta has =
successfully completed 747-400 First Officer simulator training.=20

      Qantas Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director Geoff Dixon =
presented Mr Travolta with his "wings" at Los Angeles airport today. Mr =
Dixon said the airline was delighted to welcome Mr Travolta to the =
company as "Ambassador-at-Large".=20

      Mr Travolta said that, as part of his new role with Qantas, he =
would pilot his own aircraft, an ex-Qantas Boeing 707 jet specially =
painted in its original Qantas 1960s branding and livery, across the =
globe to 10 countries on a Spirit of Friendship tour.

      The Spirit of Friendship tour will include visits to 13 cities =
around the world between 1 July and late August this year.

      Commenting on Mr Travolta's appointment, Mr Dixon said: "It's no =
secret that John is an avid fan of aviation. He is also a keen and =
talented pilot, and supporting his Spirit of Friendship tour is a =
fantastic way to showcase Qantas in its major overseas markets.

      "The tour is also a unique opportunity for Qantas to underscore =
its commitment to international tourism."

      Mr Travolta said he chose the Spirit of Friendship theme for the =
tour following the shocking events that the world has experienced in the =
past 12 months.=20

      "The past year has been awful for our sense of security and =
goodwill and also for trust and friendship between different cultures =
and countries," he said.

      "I'm undertaking this tour to extend the hand of friendship - to =
reach out, to cross borders, make contact, rekindle friendships and make =
new friends.

      "That's why I've teamed up with Qantas, an airline which embodies =
the spirit of Australia and the spirit of friendship. I've always =
admired the Qantas safety record and culture and I've been attracted to =
its values of quality, openness and friendliness."

      Mr Travolta will fly from Los Angeles to Auckland in New Zealand, =
Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, =
London, Rome, Paris, Frankfurt and New York before returning to Los =
Angeles. The tour involves about 80 flying hours and covers more than =
35,000 nautical miles (64,700 kilometres).

      As "Ambassador-at-Large" Mr Travolta has become a Qantas employee =
and will, during the global tour, spend time with fellow Qantas =
employees in each market.

      Mr Travolta purchased the ex-Qantas 707 four years ago and has =
been an enthusiastic aviator since his childhood.=20

      Issued by Qantas Public Affairs (2726)
      Email: qantasmedia@qantas.com.au=20
    =20