Granny Gordon

Attached is a story forwarded to me by a friend in St. Louis.  Did this
really happen (if yes, where?) or is it an urban legend?
Regards to all,
JCK
----
CHEERS FOR GRANNY

Searching an 83 year old woman in a wheelchair at the
airport is too stupid to be believed! This little ole Granny has struck a
blow for justice for the rest of us having to put up with rules saying we
cannot profile terrorist, even though they fit the profile, but have to
search all people at random ....
This time they picked on the wrong person.

God Bless Granny Gordon!

Grandma Beats Up Airport Security Guards
by Bob Wallace

Charges were dropped yesterday against Ruth "Grammy"
Gordon, an 83-year-old wheelchair-bound grandmother, who was originally
charged with assault and battery, and assault with a deadly weapon, because
an altercation she had last week with six airport security guards, that left
all six hospitalized.

"Justice has been served," said the 95-pound mother of three and grandmother
of six, as she sat in her wheelchair, aided in her breathing by an oxygen
bottle. "Now I'm going to sue every fool in the federal government for
ignorance, stupidity, and just plain general incompetence. I'm an American,
and I won't be treated like this."

The problem began last month as Gordon was attempting to board an airplane.
"These guys are supposed to be some kind of professionals," she said, "but
they're dumber than rocks. Here they were letting guys who looked just like
terrorists walk through without searching them, and then they pull me aside
and tell me they're going to search me? I don't think so."

According to one witness, Bud Cort of Cuyahoga Falls,
Ohio, one guard, "who weighed about 300 pounds, looked
like he was drunk, and had his shirt out, told this woman she couldn't board
the plane unless they searched her. He was really rude. That's when the
trouble started."

Videotapes showed that Gordon ran the guard down with her motorized
wheelchair, then sat on top of the screaming man while spinning her chair in
circles. "Doofus was so fat he couldn't get up," said Gordon with a giggle.

One guard who attempted to pull Gordon's wheelchair off of the screaming man
from behind was hit over the head with an oxygen bottle and knocked
unconscious. A third guard, who approached Gordon from the front, was also
left dazed on the floor. Witnesses said she was cackling, "Put your hands on
an old lady, will you?" as she bashed both guards.

The tape also showed a fourth guard attempting to grab
Gordon's wheelchair. Gordon removed a knitting needle
from her purse and stabbed him in his left buttock. "What a wimp," she told
reporters. "He started screaming and
grabbing his butt and running like a puppy that someone
kicked."

"It was amazing," said another witness, a Scott Ryan. "The
whole crowd just stood there cheering and clapping. I mean, she was whupping
butt."

A fifth guard that attempted to grab Gordon had the seat of his pants set on
fire with a cigarette lighter than had escaped detection. "He just went
whoosh across the concourse, screaming and slapping at all these flames
flying out of his rear," said Ryan.

A sixth guard did finally manage to get Gordon in a body
hug. "I think that was the wrong thing to do," said another
witness, who declined to be identified. "She just grabbed him by his greasy
hair with one hand and cracked him across the jaw with her skinny fist. And
down and out he went."

After all this, Gordon's chair was still sitting on top of the
first guard. The tapes clearly showed her leaning over and
yelling, "Apologize to me, you fat sumbitch, or when I'm
done with you you'll just be a greasy spot on the floor!"

As the crowd roared, the guard cried, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!
Uncle! I won't do it again!"

Finally, Gordon surrendered without further incident, and
was taken to jail and released on her own recognizance. "We didn't have any
choice," said an unidentified officer of the court. "Over 200 people showed
up to support her. I think if we had demanded bail, there would have been a
riot."

Over 20 lawyers offered to defend her for free. However,
realizing the precariousness of the case, Gordon was not
charged with anything. "I doubt there's a jury in the whole
country that would have found her guilty of anything," said
one of the lawyers.

"I'm flying again tomorrow," Gordon told reporters. "And I
suggest no one at the airport so much as look at me wrong."

May 27, 2002